Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sunrise Marmalade & Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast

 
Oh, how I looove French toast. 
 
 Call me crazy, but I just might like it even more than pancakes...Yes I know, that much
 
There's just something about battered bread that's fryed in butter, and served with maple syrup or a delicious berry sauce that makes my heart skip a beat!  It's so easy to make, and I always have the key ingredients of bread, eggs, milk and butter on hand! 
 
I'm not sure if you read a couple of weeks ago about my little story, A Tale of Two French Toasts, where Mr. Cozy and I visited a locally favorite cafe for breakfast and had absolutely incredible French toasts!  I was inspired by the amazing marmalade one that my husband ordered, so this morning I decided to make French toast with a twist of orange flavor.  Fancy French toast, if you will!
 
 
Last week I bought Mascarpone cheese at Trader Joes for the first time.  I've never bought it before, but I knew it's similar to cream cheese, therefore I would love it.  I sure do!  It's very soft and spreadable and is almost buttery-sweet....just delicious!  Mascarpone cheese is definitely made for sweet recipes as opposed to savory.  It was a perfect base for the filling of this French toast!!   (Although, if you don't have any at home and want to make this recipe, cream cheese is a terrific substitute!  Yum!)
 
I've never made stuffed French toast in my life and decided to when I woke up craving really good French toast.  I used sweetened mascarpone cheese, orange marmalade and fresh orange zest as the filling.  It was so delicious, it can easily be a fruit dip or spread for toast and bagels  ....Oh my! 
 
 You know how after you make a new recipe, as you're eating it, you think of other ways you could improve it?  Maybe it's just me.! Anywho, there are a few little things I might try doing differently the next time with this recipe.   Let me explain, and you can make the decisions for yourself!
 
1. I used a little powdered sugar to sweeten the filling a bit more, but the next time I'm going to try adding honey instead for a natural sugar and to make an even gooier filling. 
 
2. I'll probably add even more marmalade to the filling, but I LOVE orange flavor!
 
3. On the same note, I'll probably add some of the orange's juice to the egg mixture.  I did add a lot of orange zest though, and it was still really delicious.
 
4. For those of you who want a richer French toast, spread more filling on the bread and use half & half instead of skim milk in the egg batter.
(I just try to make everything as light as I can, but if I splurge that's how I would do it!)
 
5. Finally, using Brioche or French bread would be AMAZING with this!  I also really love thick sliced, Texas toast bread for French toast!!  Unfortunately I don't usually keep those breads at home, and since I always seem to make French toast on the fly, whole wheat or oatmeal bread it is for me.
 
 
This marmalade & mascarpone French toast is dreamy and such a treat to wake your family up to! The bright citrusy orange infusing the crispy bread and warm real maple syrup are all the right flavors to begin a special day.  To make it really over the top, serve with an extra dollop of the marmalade-mascarpone cream on top or fresh whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar! 
 
Marmalade & Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast
 
1/2 c. Mascarpone Cheese
You will have a little extra  filling with this amount, or use it all for decadent goodness!
 
1 Tbsp. Powdered Sugar
 
1 1/2 heaping Tbsp. Orange Marmalade
 
Zest of 1 Orange, divided
 
4 slices thick-sliced Bread, a little dried out preferably
 
1 Egg
 
Approx. 1/4 c. Milk
 
Dash of Cinnamon
 
Splash of Vanilla Extract
 
1 Tbsp. Butter
 
 
For the Filling:
In a small bowl, stir together the Mascarpone, sugar, marmalade, and half of the orange zest really well.  Set it aside before you eat it all!
 
 
 
In a shallow bowl, beat the egg, milk, orange zest, cinnamon and vanilla until frothy.  Set aside.
 
 
Take the filling and divide evenly between two pieces of bread for the richer version.  For the delicious-lighter version, spread on about 2-ish Tbsp.  (I didn't really measure this part out.  I had enough filling left over for my toast the next couple of mornings!)
 
 
Top the "sandwich" with the other slice of bread.
 
 Get a large skillet hot over medium heat.  Once hot, put the pat of butter in the pan and swirl it around. 
 
Place the bowl of egg mixture near the frying pan.
 
Dredge both sides of the sandwiches in the egg batter.  The drier and thicker the bread is --such as artisan bread--, the longer it should set.  (But even crusty French bread should not sit longer than 1 1/2 minute, in my opinion.)
 
Immediately place them in the hot buttered pan and fry each side until brown and crispy. 
 
 
Cut the French toast diagnally and serve hot on the plate with warm real maple syrup and orange slices or berries. :)
 
 
 
I'm linking up with:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


15 comments:

  1. This looks so good that I am craving it this minute. I always use a bit of orange juice in my eggs for French toast so I am sure this has the same but bigger punch. Thanks so much!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me so hungry! A beautiful job. I don't think there is a bad bread to use in French Toast--unless it's rye or pumpernickel!--but sometime try a good croissant with your recipe for a calorie splurge. Silver Palate cookbook uses that in a recipe and it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so yummy looking! Today I made crepes with a sweetened cream cheese/cottage cheese filling, (blintzes), with blueberry jam on top! Yum! All I took was an instagram photo on my phone or I would blog about it. Yay for Saturday morning breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Leslie! My husband and I stayed at a B&B during our honeymoon and the owner made us a stuffed fresh toast that looks very similar to this! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today!

    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first visit to your blog and everything looks LOVELY!!!! I too am a lover of french toast over waffles and pancakes~!

    I wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog. Leslie,

    Out of all of the comments I have ever recieved on my blog yours is by far the best and it has tickled me pink! I really try to streamline and make life easy in any way I can!

    Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family has French toast quite often because we love it too. Thanks for the reminder about stuffing it. We haven't done that in a long time, and you are right. It is even better that way. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes! This looks so good! I know I will be trying this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMY! I will have to try this. We love blueberries. I wonder how it would taste with those. Only one way to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds and looks delicious!! I love French Toast too...we make ours out of left over French bread from the grocery fresh bakery...we cut it nice and thick...we got some great pomegranate jelly that is wonderful on it too...but this sounds really good!! Happy Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving all of these delicious ways y'all are eating your French toast! You're giving me so many good ideas!
    I love the idea of buying the bread on sale at the grocery bakery.

    And croissants....YUM!!!

    I must try all of your suggestions...just to make sure they're as good as you say they are. *wink ;)

    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my lord, this looks yummy! I'm right there with you - I much prefer French Toast to Pancakes. It's always been my favorite. I have to try this.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, Leslie, I LOVE orange flavored dishes and this sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing this amazing French toast recipe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious! I love french toast and I love marmalade. Sounds like something I need to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm, delish! I love stuffed french toast too! I've always used cream cheese though. I like that you used mascarpone, need to try it with that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can just imagine how tasty and fragrant this was!~ I know Dearest would just LOVE this. I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday, I will be featuring your post in this week's party,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!