Thursday, February 21, 2013

Chewy White Chocolate Chunk-Cherry Oatmeal Cookies

 

 I'm here to talk about one of my very favorite things to eat...Cookies!
 
I don't think I can convey to you just how delicious these oatmeal cookies are!  Filled with plump dried cherries, chunks of creamy white chocolate, toasted almonds, and old fashioned oats, this cookie is more like what I call a "gob" cookie that's chock full of good things.
 
 
 I always like to make a dessert using cherries around Presidents Day in honor of George Washington, our great first President!  I usually make a homemade cherry pie, but I decided to make cookies for something different.  Also, when I make a pie that feeds 6-8 for just Mr. Cozy and I, it seems like we have to stuff our face with pie for 2 days.  (Doesn't seem too bad, I guess...)  But with cookies, I make a big batch of dough and refrigerate it and just bake the cookies a few at a time when we want them! 
 
 
I have a sneaky suspicion these won't last very long, because they are crazy-good!  I chopped the white chocolate chunks myself and left them big so the cookies would be dotted with hunks of creaminess, and this tasted great!   I highly recommend chopping your own chocolate here rather than buying white chocolate chips.
 
 
I roughly chopped the dried cherries.  They add a bit of tartness that's so delicious with the chocolate and chewiness that's a perfect pairing with the crunchy toasted almonds.
 
 
I hope you all with find time during this winter storm that's blowing across the U.S. to make these  White Chocolate Chunk-Cherry Oatmeal Cookies!  If you're stuck at home, at least you can crank up the oven and makes a big batch of homemade cookies for--or with!-- your kiddos.  Grab a big glass of milk before they get out of the oven, because you want to eat these cookies while they're warm and extra chewy!  
 
Here is the plate we'll be enjoying over the next couple of days while the Mr. has a little time off! 
 
 
Chewy White Chocolate Chunk-Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from Joy the Baker 
 
1 c. (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened
1 c. Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 c. Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 c. All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 c. Old Fashioned Oats
1 c. Dried Cherries
1 c. White Chocolate, coarsely chopped(I used Ghirardelli)
1/3 Slivered Almonds, toasted and rough chopped
 
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  
Spread out the almonds into a dry cookie sheet and bake for 7 minutes, or until fragrant and blonde.
 
In a medium sized bowl, place the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Stir together and set aside.
 
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars together with an electic mixer and beat until fluffy. 
 
Add the eggs one at a time and vanilla. 
 
With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture.  Once all in, turn it up and make sure everything is blended well.
 
Add the oats, nuts, chocolate and cherries.  With a spoon mix all of this together until the add-ins are incorporated throughout.
 
Take half of the dough and place on plastic wrap.
 
 Fold the plastic around the dough, and using your hands mold the dough into a log.
 
 Twist the ends off then do the same to the rest of the dough.  You should have two logs that are ready to go in the fridge. 
 
Refrigerate for 4-24 hours for the best flavor.  The dough will last like this in the fridge over the next 5 days.  If you want to keep it longer, portion into heaping tablespoons and place in a freezer bag and freeze.
 
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
 
Cut into portions about the size of heaping tablespoons and place on a ungreased cookie sheet.
 
 
Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden and incredibly delicious!  Let cool for 1 minute before moving to a cooling rack.  Store tightly.
 
 
Chewy, chunky, crunchy and gooey.
 
 
 Enjoy!!!
 
 
 I'm linking up with:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this delicious cookie recipe. Cookies are my weakness!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look perfectly scrumptious! Great flavors going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leslie, thank you for your visit. Your blog is darling and we have very similar taste in blog names!! These cookies look delish! Oatmeal are my all time favorite cookies. I'm your newest follower *_*. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog - AND - You have the BEST RECIPES EVER !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pinning this...looking forward to trying another one of your delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture and chewiness of oatmeal cookies! These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious blog! So glad to have found you.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cherries and white chocolate together and this looks amazing!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some excellent cooking and baking recipes here on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks simple and inviting! I think this is a must try. AMAZING! I had featured u in the article of Deep Love to Mother: Top 7 Recipes Based on Yummy Chocolate on AllFreshRecipes. Looking forward ur Newly Eats!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!