Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Coca Cola Birthday Cake

 
 Sunday was Mr. Cozy's birthday, and that means I got to make a cake!  Every year I ask him what kind of birthday cake he wants me to make, and it's usually something chocolate.  A few years ago I started a new birthday cake tradition for him with the Double Chocolate Christmas Cake with Ganache and Pecan Praline Frosting.  That one is an irresistible tasting that also looks pretty impressive.   So now it's on the "rotation" of Heath's favorite cakes (and mine, too)! 
 
This year I made one of his long-time favorite cakes, and maybe the first cake I ever made being married.  This is one his Mom has made for years and one that we both LOVE! ...Coca Cola Cake! 
 
 
 I've posted on Coca Cola cake before, but last year when I made it I turned it into a layer cake and used a different cola frosting that this one.  This frosting is the original family recipe that goes along with this cake.  It's a cooked frosting that also has cola in it.  You actually cook it over the stove before adding the sugar, and then spread it over the hot cake just out of the oven!  Once it cools, it's really rich and reminds me of fudge!  It's perfect on the cake which is incredibly moist and tender from the buttermilk and melted marshmallows in the batter! 
 
 
This year I added a salted caramel layer by melting caramels with a little cream and salt.  I poked holes in the cake and poured it over right from the oven before I frosted.  I thought the caramel addition sounded really good, but when I put the frosting on top it wouldn't spread very well over the caramel.  I decided to stop fight fighting the frosting and just kind of swirled in the caramel to make a chocolate caramel frosting.  It was good, but we both agreed the cake was already sweet enough before the caramel.  I probably won't do that again unless I drizzle a little over the top.
 
The birthday boy still loved it, and that's all that matters to me!!!
 
 Yes, he's 9 yrs. old. ;)
 
My husband and I have now celebrated 12 birthdays together as a couple, and each one we try to make really special for one another!  It's not all about the gifts we give, but the extra attention and love we show.  The small things like making one of his favorite meals--African peanut soup this year--and us doing whatever he wants to do that day!  I like to wake him up with a special breakfast treat like fresh chocolate croissants.  Also, I'm reminded to be more mindful of really listening to everything he says and stop to look him in the eye when he talks to me.  His kind blue eyes still melt me! 
 
These are things I should always be very mindful of. 
 
 
 Mr. Cozy was thrilled to see I made him Coca Cola cake and enjoyed every luscious chocolate-pecan bite! A piece of this requires a huge glass of milk or fresh coffee to counter the sugary-sweetness!  It was a really great day for the both of us, and the fact that we went to church together, spent time in our Christmas adorned house, and celebrated with a couple friends really was the "icing on the cake"!
 
 
 
Coca Cola Cake
Original recipe without caramel 
 
Cake
2 c. All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Butter
1 1/2 c. Small Marshmallows
1/2 c. Oil
 1 c. Coke
1/2 c. Buttermilk
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
 
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
 
Sift dry ingredients together and set aside. 
 
Melt the butter, marshmallows, oil and Coke and bring to a boil. 
 
 
Pour over dry ingredients. 
 
 Add buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.  Beat well.  Pour in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
 
  Bake for 45-50 minutes.  Take out when a toothpick comes out of the center clean.  Pour frosting over the cake once out of the oven. 
 
 Frosting
 
1/2 c. Butter
6 Tbsp. Coke
3/4. Pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
3 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
1 Box Powdered Sugar
 
Combine butter, cocoa, and Coke in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Take off the heat. Add powdered sugar and beat in sugar with a mixer.  Stir in 1/2 c. pecans.  Spread over the hot cake, and sprinkle with remaining chopped pecans.
 
 
I think everything tastes a little better sitting by the sparkly Christmas tree. :)
 
 
(Our kitty Roosevelt London, aka. "Rolo" loves to nap by the tree, but who wouldn't!?!)
 
 
 
 
 Joining up with Friends at:
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. aww... such sweet ways to celebrate each other and birthdays! The cake looks fabulous! Your home looks beautiful! What a dear couple :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it sounds so good. For sure will have to try out that recipe. Your tree looks so warm and cozy too. Yep, my Gracie (the cat) love to sleep by our tree too. Enjoyed your post. Have a wonderful day dear friend. ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had Coca Cola cake in a few years but now I'm craving it again. One year I substituted Cheerwine. Now that African Peanut Soup sounds intriguing also. But what blessed my heart was reading your thoughts behind how you like to treat your husband on his birthday. What wisdom from a young married woman! I have a feeling he feels the same way about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I saw this cake being made on the Joey and Rory show and have wanted the recipe ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Coca Cola Cake!! Your home looks cozy as always, love the huge Christmas tree in the corner! By the way, I made your Mud Hen Bars on Thanksgiving! They were so yummy! Blessings to you and your family this Christmas season!! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!