Saturday, December 3, 2011

I Simply Remember my Favorite Things....Coca Cola Birthday Cake and Christmas!


Happy Birthday to Mr. Cozy!!!
We celebrated with his parents by each enjoying a slice of  coke cake --as we call it--which is a long standing favorite birthday cake with some cinnamon hazelnut coffee!  It was a perfect night of catching up with family that doesn't get to visit too often.  It started by going out for a nice dinner and coming back to our place for a delish dessert by the cozy Christmas tree.  We both felt blessed!


Here are my (favorite!) Christmas dishes.  They are Johnson Bros. Old Britain Castles Pink Christmas Green Tree. 

I came across 4 salad/dessert  plates in T.J. Maxx with my Mom a couple years ago and grabbed them.  Never thinking I'd run across anymore.

October of that year Mr. Cozy and I went to Asheville, NC for our 5th Anniversary and I randomly stumbled upon 6 more of them in an adorable store in Hendersonville, NC!  I was thrilled!  So now I have 10 of those plates!  I usually use them for dessert. 

My parents gave me 10 mugs last year as part of my Christmas (thanks, Mom!) and now I'm set for dessert and coffee during the holiday season! 


The pattern is so pretty and delicate.  It's an vintage/antique pattern and that's probably why I like it so much.  I am very much into a red and green Christmas with lots of old fashioned and nostalgia mixed in.  To me, there is nothing cozier than that!  :)



Back to the yummies!
Have you ever had a Coca Cola cake before?  It's something that's apparently a Southern favorite, but I'd never heard of it before I celebrated a birthday with my husband.

This is one of his most requested birthday cakes that he grew up asking for.  It's usually made in a sheet pan with a delicious, drippy chocolate-y icing.  But I wanted to make it look just a little more special this year by making it into a layered cake.  I found this equally delicious, less drippy, recipe online that's just right!  Everyone agreed it was so good, even my mother-in-love, and it's her cake recipe!


This decadent cake is made with Coke but tastes like an incredibly rich chocolate cake. There's also lots of chocolate, melted marshmallows and buttermilk to make an incredibly moist cake.

Topped with toasted pecans and chocolate shavings for a look that's totally birthday worthy!


The icing recipe I used is one that's perfect for a layered cake.  It has a more firm consistency than a recipe I have for a sheet cake.  That one is poured over the cake while still warm!  (Mmmm, I'll have to share that soon!)
This icing recipe is heaven.  It's difficult not to taste test from the bowl too often!

I mean, doesn't it look like a whipped chocolate cloud?
Sigh!


Just in time for the festive parties and gatherings, this cake would be a show stopper on a chilly December night with a hot cup of coffee or a frosty glass of milk!

Whatever you do today, remember the true reason for this wonderful holiday, Christmas.  It's the birthday celebration of our Savior and my Lord, Jesus Christ!

Why not make a cake for His birthday?


Coca Cola Cake
2. c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. small marshmallows
1/2 c. oil
1 c. Coke(any brand)
1/2 c. low fat buttermilk
2 eggs,set out for 30 minutes if possible
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla extract

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sift dry ingredients together.

Melt butter, marshmallows, oil and Coke.


Bring to a boil and pour over dry ingredients.Add buttermilk, vanilla and eggs.  Beat well.

(Notice my new stand mixer hard at work for me!)

Pour batter into 2 well greased and floured (I like baking sprays) 8" pans.
Bake @ 325 degrees for about 40-45 minutes or until set and toothpick come out clean.

Coca Cola Frosting
(This is my modified version of what I found on Relish. com.  The exact proportions of chocolate and sugar may vary according to your own taste.) 

1 c. butter (2 stick)
1/4 c. Coke
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
1 lb. powdered sugar, sifted
1 c. pecans, toasted

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cream butter in bowl using a mixer until smooth.

Add Coke and vanilla.  Mix on low speed until smooth.

Add cocoa powder and chocolate.  Mix 'till smooth and scrape down sides of bowl.

Beat in sugar 1/2 c. at a time on low.  Keeping mixer on low, beating until very smooth.

Icing is best made one day ahead.
                                                                                                                                                                

The night before, I assembled the cake once cooled. I spread a very thin layer of icing (don't have a picture) on the cake to seal in the moisture and it helps icing the rest of the cake much easier next day. 
Refrigerate the cake overnight.


(In between the layers I put icing and some of the toasted pecans.)

Ice the cake smooth, then for a whipped looking effect, use the back of a spoon to makes swirls all over the cake!


Ganish the top with toasted pecans or stir in them in the icing.


Here's my old fashioned, traditional Christmas tree that we love!
(There will be more decor pictures to come:)


Merry Christmas!!!











11 comments:

  1. that cake looks extra yummy. i've have a similar recipe using coke but have yet to try it. you have given me hope. i must try soon. i love your Christmas tree. it's just beautiful. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a cake! I'd love a slice. And those dishes are exquisite!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures. I love that stone fireplace and the tree looks wonderful! I'm a big fan of antique-looking things, too. I've got Christmas plates on my wishlist ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leslie,

    That coke cake looks delicious!
    The icing is perfect...yum!
    Your Christmas Tree is gorgeous...
    Thank you for your sweet comments today and becoming a follower!
    I'am happy to be following you too!
    Love your Christmas dishes so pretty.
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie: This looks seriously amazing. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the sweet comment on my gingerbread cookies, Leslie, I was just about to write how much I love your Christmas tree by the fireplace with the pillows! It looks so cosy and inviting! Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I NEED your stone fire place for my ski lodge theme! (: Now, this is a place to sink in and stay awhile...it is lovely! I am sending your link with the cake to my sister! She is an awesome baker and I know she will love this! Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your traditional tree, and the cake looks so delicious. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) Thanks for all of your kind words! I'm sorry if I haven't been able to personally go to everyone's blog and show my gratitude. I'm so glad I can share a peak of my life and home with ya'll.
    Christmas Blessings to you All!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leslie, I got your comment the other day - and girl, we DO have a lot in common! I like Coke Cake so much that for my 30th birthday my mom made it (along with a complete surprise Southern brunch) and gave out bottled Cokes with a recipe card she had my husband design with a picture of me making one and the recipe! I'm so glad we connected thanks to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Gosh, I have to give it a try before I start my diet! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!