Friday, December 14, 2012

Salty Toffee Cracker Candy

 
I'm a little busy Christmas bee around the house this week as we prepare for our annual Cookies & Cocoa Party! 
 
 
I've been doing relentless list making, grocery shopping, cleaning, organizing, decorating, furniture rearranging, baking and more baking this week, but it's been a joy!!! 
 
 
I'm here at home in my element with the Christmas music resounding throughout  house.
 
 
I have a play list with an mix of favorites from the croons of Micheal Buble, Bing, and Perry Como to the modern classics by Vince Gill, Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman, and Mariah Carey.  These tunes are chock full of festive memories to me!!!
 
 
I just want to point out to you a few of the Christmas touches I have around the living room... 
 
 This sweet Advent calender in the picture above is one of my favorite things!   It was given to us by my parents a few years ago for Christmas.  It has the picturesque look of a house in Rothenburg Germany, and just a peek through the "windows" makes you feel as though you're seeing into a fairytale. 
 
I know one day our children will come to love it, too!
 
 
I'm thrilled to use this heirloom quilt as our tree skirt!  It's special to us because Mr. Cozy's late Great-Grandmother made it many years ago!  It's these homespun things that bring a sense of love of family into our home during the holiday season!
 
 
I had to take a few minutes to share with you this recipe for addicting toffee cracker candy!!!  Mom has made this during Christmas, and I literally couldn't stop eating the stuff....it was a problem! ;)
 
This is the easiest candy you'll ever make, and it only requires 4 ingredients!  F-o-u-r!  Friends, you're only a few minutes away from making one of the best holiday treats you've had!  A quick and easy "toffee" is poured over plain saltine crackers and sprinkled with coarsely chopped pecans to get cozy for just a few minutes in the oven.  When taken out, it becomes this slightly salty and sweet, crunchy, flaky, break apart candy that's you can munch on all season long! 
 
 
 
 
 Salty Toffee Cracker Candy
 
4 oz. Saltine crackers, about 1 sleeve
1 c. (2 sticks) Butter
1 c. Brown Sugar
3/4 c. Pecans, coarsely chopped
 
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
 
Line a parchment paper covered cookie sheet with the crackers.
 
In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes.  Immediately pour over crackers and spread out evenly. (This mixture thickens fast!) Evenly sprinkle pecans all over.
 
Bake for 5-6 minutes.  Let sit for 5 minutes. Remove the parchment paper with crackers to help cool faster.  (You will be tempted to eat right away!)  Cool and break into squares.  Store in an airtight container or even better, give away as a Christmas blessing!
 
I actually used an additional 1/2 sleeve for the toffee mixture and 1 c. pecans.  It's so good, be prepared to make a double batch!
 
 
Back to kitchen "work" I go!...
 
 
 I'm joining friends at:
 
 


6 comments:

  1. I love your tree in your red room. I am so going to make these. I am saltines addict. And these sound so good. Okay next week these are on the list for Christmas goodies. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love easy recipes like this and they look delicious! Thank you for sharing it. I, like you, also enjoy keeping the Christmas music playing in the house. The atmosphere is always a festive one with those familiar tunes in the background.

    Your decor is lovely. I also think that displaying heirlooms helps to make a house a home.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote down the receipe for the toffee crackers and I am making tonight! Love all your Christmas decoration' and the tree. Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the kitty. What a great Christmas decoration. I will be trying this treat. I love sweet and salty together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom used to make this too, but with Waverly crackers! She and I were just saying the other day we needed to dig up this recipe!! Merry Christmas season to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!