Friday, November 30, 2012

*Best Loved* Derby Pie

 
Dear Ones, this pie is amazing!!!
I wrote about this recipe 3 years ago when I first started this blog, but it's well worth sharing again!  This derby pie is not only a family favorite on my hubby's side, but has become a personal favorite pie of my own! 
 
As you may know, derby pie is a Kentucky favorite that originated in Louisville, Ky.  I've seen recipes of derby pie that seems more like a pecan pie with a custard-like texture and others with the addition of bourbon, but I still think this recipe is the best! 
 
 
If you love chocolate chip cookies at all, you will go crazy over this!  It's full of pecans and chocolate chips and is a little gooey and very rich!  I used refrigerated pie crust that I fluted or "ruffled" and gave a milk bath followed by a sugar shower.  Yes, it's worth the fuss, for this pie is serious business around here!  I adopted this recipe from my mother-in-love, where we usually have it at her Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.  I've had other's children ask me to make this for their birthday, and adults want to pay me to make this derby pie for them!  It is reeeally good!  (And it's super easy to make...ssshhh! ;)
 
If you want a slice of what Kentucky homes taste like at the holiday season, make this delicious pie!  Please enjoy every day of this beautiful Christmas season the Lord has given us, because I know it will slip away quickly into winter solace.  After just putting our tree up, I'm sitting by it now and taking in the moment! 
 
 
*Best Loved* Derby Pie
 
1 c. Sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) Butter, softened
1 Egg
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 c. Flour
1 c. Chocolate Chips
1 c. Pecans, chopped
 
1 Refrigerated Pie Crust
Half & Half or Cream
1 Tbsp. Sugar
 
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
 
Get the crust out of the fridge and allow to set 20 minutes before using.  Unroll, arrange crust in a pie pan, and flute the edges.  Set aside.
 
Mix all of the pie ingredients together and pour in the pie crust.  Spread out evenly.
 
 
With a pastry brush brush the half and half or cream all around the fluted edge of the pie.  Next sprinkle sugar on top of the crust to give it a gorgeous sheen and sparkle!
 
 
Bake for 35-38 minutes.
Let cool for 30 minutes-- if you can--before slicing and serving!
 
 
 I'm linking up with friends at:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 


7 comments:

  1. Leslie: I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog. You are a true blessing to others. I love how you share your love for Jesus, our Lord and Savior. Thank you for the yummy recipes. I live one state above you so we are "neighbors". Your home is just beautiful and I believe your heart is too! Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh myyyy goodness!!!!!!!! I was stunned to see this recipe because once you get out of Louisville (my hometown btw!!!!) no one knows what on earth you are talking about!!!And this one IS the one and only truly AUTHENTIC KY Derby pie!!!!!! Now....if yoi can find Jam cake I might have to kiss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, can't wait to try it for Christmas. Also, your crust in beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leslie! I just found your blog from the Long Awaited Home and I am enjoying reading your older posts! Love all the recipes! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've put chocolate chips and coconut in my pecan pie before but never tried, or even heard of, Derby Pie! YUMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot WAIT to make this pie!!! Thank you so much for sharing!! :-D

    Kim @ Little Rays of Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pie is wonderful...Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!