Thursday, August 25, 2011

Homegrown Cucumber Salad


Good Morning Friends!

This is a very simple recipe that will give you possibly a new way to use some of the abundance of your garden!  We are blessed with grandparents who have big "family gardens", so they love to share their harvest with everyone!  We've had home grown tomatoes and cucumbers growing out our ears (so to speak!).   Just knowing that our loved ones used their hands to plant and tend to these beautiful vegetables in family soil makes every bite seem a bit tastier.  

This salad is so simple. No really, it's almost embarrassing how few ingredients there are.  We love to eat this  with just about anything in the summertime, especially when we are grilling or have a platter of fried chicken.  This salad is not only bright in color, but flavor as well with the simple ingredients and addition of the fresh basil.  When peeling the cucumbers, I do what my mom and granny has always done--I like to leave thin  stripes of the peel so that when you slice them, they have pretty two-tone green cucumber in your salad.  It's the small things remind me of home.

I'm going to take advantage of the fresh vegetables and fruit while they still last.  In a few months we will only be dreaming about taste of the fresh summertime harvest that we now have at our fingertips!

Homegrown Cucumber Salad

3-4 Cucumbers, peeled and sliced

2 Slicer Tomatoes, rough chopped

Newman's Own Olive and Vinegar Dressing

Fresh Basil
(shredded, torn, however you like)

Salt & Pepper 


In a bowl, put the cucumbers and tomatoes.  

Add enough dressing for the vegetables to be completely saturated, plus some.  

Add salt and pepper to taste.  

Mix all of this together and allow to sit for at least 2 hours covered on the counter or overnight in the fridge.  

Before serving, stir again and add the fresh basil to the top.  
Serve with a slotted spoon and enjoy!

Serves 6-8


Thank you to Kim at Savvy Southern Style for featuring my peanut butter cookies.  Please check her beautiful home out if you haven't already!

Linking up with:

Photobucket

Photobucket








7 comments:

  1. I love cucumber salad and yours is great and yummy looking, I'll make it today! I like all your other recipes, specially the Blueberry muffins, just terrific! I've copied them and thank you for sharing, I think I will grab a mug and visit you!! Hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thank you for leaving such a precious comment! I'm so glad that you like my recipes, I really appreciate that! Yes, those blueberry muffins are so good, especially with a fresh cup of coffee. :)
    Come back soon, Fabby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad was one that my mother in law made and is one of my husbands favorites. I have never added the basil but I can only imagine the freshness it adds to the salad. I spent a few minutes browsing through you past posts and think I gained 10 pounds just looking. What a wonderful cook you must be. I can't wait to spend some time picking out recipes to try and I am your newest follower. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you all for visiting!
    Patty, I really have to use good portion control so that I don't gain 10 lbs every week, haha! Thank you for your sweet comments...I love hearing whether or not others have tried similar recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I love Newman's salad dressings. What a great summertime recipe! Thanks for linking it to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try this recipe! It looks so fresh and simple. I have also been wanting to try some of your other yummy recipes!

    Thanks for visiting by blog. Your sweet comments always make me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!