Wednesday, April 28, 2021

The Pioneer Woman’s Chicken Tortilla Soup

 


Since my life has blown up into full time mom, I have a swath of tried and true recipes that I make over and over that are just dependably delicious and my whole family loves!  I get creative sometimes but there’s nothing like making a meal that you know all the people will eat. Some of these recipes are already in the archives here, and I encourage you to browse through those, but I’m excited to share with you some others...

This Pioneer Woman (don’t you just LOVE her??) recipe for chicken tortilla soup is one of those go-to meals for me! My mom actually introduced me to this recipe about 7 years ago when she made it for a family meal, and we have both been making it ever since! 

This is one of my favorite cookbooks! SO many good recipes.

In true Leslie fashion, I never go by a recipe to the “T”, unless perhaps it’s a cake or the first time to make something, so of course I’m always adding or replacing for this soup whatever I have on hand. It is one of those recipes that you can absolutely do that and I think Ree wouldn’t expect any less!

For example, I add a corn or or sometimes yellow hominy, and this particular time I also added a small can of green chiles—delish! I usually make this soup with roasted chicken breasts, like I did this time, but it’s so good too and easy to buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery and shred that up for the recipe, too! (That’s an excellent tip for quick chicken recipes!)




This savory soup is amazing to top however you like your tacos. We always top with cheddar, Colby jack, or pepper jack cheese, and crushed tortilla chips! My kids prefer the crunchy chips as opposed to the tortillas she calls for in the soup. Avocado, sour cream, diced tomato and cilantro take it over the top and don’t forget a fresh squeeze lime over it all. PW’s chicken tortilla soup is a crowd pleaser, and so much fun to serve with a toppings bar for people to choose how to load their soup. Serve with a side of fresh cheese quesadillas or Mexican cornbread! 

Let me know if you try it and love it, too!




Chicken Tortilla Soup
Pioneer Woman Cooks Food From My Frontier
Serves 8

1 1/2 tsp. Cumin
About 1 1/4 tsp. Chili Powder 
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt, plus more to taste
2/3 boneless chicken breasts, depending on size
 2 T. Olive Oil
1 Diced Onion
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/4 c. Diced Green Bell Pepper
1/4 c. Diced Red Bell Pepper
1 10-oz. can Rotel Tomatoes ( I’ve used diced tomatoes + the can of green chiles)
4 cups low sodium Chicken Broth
3 T. Tomato Paste
4 c. Hot water
2-15 oz. cans Black Beans (I sub one out for corn)
3 T. Cornmeal
5 small Tortillas
Toppings of your choice


Directions: 
(These may seem extensive but I’m presenting them as she does, in steps. It’s really simple actually.)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Start by mixing together the cumin, 1 tsp. chili powder, garlic powder and salt.

3. Drizzle the chicken breasts with 1 T. olive oil.

4. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of spice mixture and set the rest aside. 

5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven.

6. Shred the chicken with a fork and set aside.

7. Next, heat the remaining 1 T olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Throw in onion and peppers.

8. Throw in a teaspoon of the spice mixture used to season the chicken.

9. Add a little extra chili powder.

10. Stir to cook and soften the veggies until they start to turn brown. About 5 minutes.

11. Add the shredded chicken.

12. The Rotel, juice and all.

13. Add the chicken broth.

14. The tomato paste and hot water. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low.

15. Next add the drained black beans and corn, if using. 

16. Then mix together with cornmeal with 1/2 c water.

17. Add the mixture to the pot and simmer soup fro at least 10-15 minutes. Give it a taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed! 

18. Cut tortillas into strips 2-3 inches long.

19. Stir them into the soup. (I don’t do this part often but it does add a good texture to the soup.)

20. Ladle into bowl and top however you please then squeeze fresh lime.




If you like this recipe, also check out my very simple Taco Soup that’s perfect for chilly evenings.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!