Friday, April 9, 2021

Simply Strawberry Shortcake Trifle



As I mentioned, I have been living a very full family and ministry life for the last several years! It’s by the grace of God alone, because it’s a life I’ve always wanted and yet I have found myself very short on time for myself (hello motherhood!) and to write which is in part why I’ve been off this platform for so long. With three busy children and homeschooling mama as a new title, we are a “full time family”. Add a bustling home and property to care for on the daily to make anybody slow their cooking game. I’ve primarily simplified my cooking and baking to things that are absolutely delicious yet super simple to make! I have a rotation of favorites I pull from and incorporate some new recipes from time to time. I rarely have time for a 25 step recipe with little hands helping or when there are sibling squabbles to keep at bay and add the bit of mommy brain I developed since bringing home my last little one—anybody else? 

So I decided instead of my not sharing recipes because I’m not making extraordinary things, I should absolutely share my go-to simple food! I’m reminded there are probably other people wanting and needing delicious easy home cooked food to feed their loved ones, like me! 

If you can relate, you will LOVE this easy, classic recipe of strawberry shortcake for a crowd! If you have several to serve or need a dish to take to your next summer gathering, this could be your new favorite!

I’ve been making this for a few years now and it’s always loved!! Turn strawberry shortcake into something easy without preparing a dozen individual plates.  Best thing— you can make it ahead of time! I promise the flavors will be even better as they marry together for a few hours before eating. It takes the guess work out of your dessert so you can focus on grilling the burgers or making the best baked beans ever—recipe will be coming soon the blog! 

Over the years I’ve made slight variations on this. I’ve made it with store bought lemon pound cake, angel food cake, yellow butter cake that I’ve baked from a box or you can always used broken up homemade short cakes if you wanted to be completely from scratch. I’ve made it using blueberries and strawberries with the lemon pound cake for a lemon berry trifle, which was amazing!  

They all have the same three general components: cake, (homemade) whipped cream, and berries. 

This time I used my favorite store bought cake from Kroger, the sour cream bundt cake, which is like pound cake, that you can find in their bakery. It is perfect for this recipe and it soaks up the strawberry juices without making the cake too soggy. I used macerated strawberries and a scratch made vanilla whipped cream using vanilla bean paste, a fave!

I made a large strawberry shortcake trifle one for our family’s Easter celebration at my In-Loves’ house, and it was completely eaten!! I couldn’t believe it, because it was a big one. I had enough leftover ingredients to make this one for our family of 5 this week, so I got an heirloom cut glass bowl which was just beautiful! I think Heath’s Granny would approve!





Strawberry Shortcake Trifle


2 lbs. Strawberries

1/3 c.-1/2 c. Granulated Sugar (depending on how ripe your berries are)

Pound cake or Angel Food Cake
 (You probably won’t use it all for a regular sized trifle dish.)

1 pint. Heavy Whipping Cream

1/4 c. Granulated Sugar

2 tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste or Extract



First wash and cut your strawberries and place in a medium sized bowl. Stir in sugar and allow the berries to sit for at about an hour. If it hasn’t rendering enough juice, use a potato masher or fork and crush them a bit. 

Cut your cake into about 1- 1 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.

To make the whipped cream:
Put your very cold whipping cream in a large bowl and get out your mixer, or pour into the bowl for your stand mixer using a wire whisk, which is what I usually use. Begin on medium speed and add vanilla and sugar while it’s mixing. Once it reaches soft peaks, crank up to high and watch carefully as you don’t want to make butter! Stop mixing once you have a stiff peak that will hold up well.

Assemble your trifle:
Using a trifle bowl or other deep clear bowl, place a little bit (about 1/4 cup) of berries and juice on the bottom. We do this so none of the cake is dry—like you would start with a touch of sauce on the bottom when making lasagna.

Layer about 1/3 of your cake cubes on next. Be sure you bring it over to the sides so it’s pretty. 

Add a layer of strawberries, again, bringing out to the sides.

Layer about 1/3 of the whipped cream, again, bringing out to the sides. You get my drift! ;)

Repeat those layers again and until you get to the last of the cake. 

Spread out the rest of the cream in the middle to make it look pretty and add the remainder of juicy strawberries the top. 

Cover and refrigerate for about 2-4 hours before serving! 



Scoop out with a large serving spoon. 
I recommend with a glass of cold milk or fresh coffee to enjoy it with.. but either way, it will be devoured!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!