Sunday, March 10, 2013

Scrumptious Banana Bread with Orange Glaze

 
This delicious bread is a recipe I shared at Inspired By Family Magazine (where I contribute) in January, and I've almost forgot to post it here at The Cozy Little Kitchen, too!
 
As you can see, this banana bread speaks for itself in that it is tender, moist and really delicious!  It's infused with delicious orange flavor that comes from zest of juice of an orange to brighten up the classic banana bread.  There is an orange glaze that's drizzled over the entire loaf when you take it hot out of the oven, and it seeps into the bread for a sticky sweet surprise when you taste it!
 
 
Because it's made with cake flour instead of all-purpose, it's really light in texture and just falls apart in your mouth as any good quick bread should.
 
What better than make a fresh loaf of this banana bread with orange glaze for a treat you can share with the family!  I hope to make it again soon!
 
 
 Moist Banana Bread with Orange Glaze
Recipe Origin: Keeping Good Company Cookbook
Makes 2 Loaves
 
2 c. sugar
1 c. (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
6 very ripe medium bananas, peeled and mashed
4 eggs, well beaten
1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
2 tsp. freshly grated orange zest
2 1/2 c. cake flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
 
 Orange Glaze:
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
 
Mix together the sugar and orange juice with a whisk until blended.  If you want the glaze a bit thicker add more sugar a teaspoon at a time.  If you want it thinner, add more juice.  Simple and delicious! 
 
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
 
Cream sugar and butter until light.  Add bananas, eggs, orange juice, and zest.  Mix well. 
 
 
 Sift together dry ingredients and fold in banana mixture.
 
 
 
 
 Divide between two greased 9x5 inch loaf pans.
 
 
Bake for 45-50 minutes, until firm in the middle and clean toothpick.
 
 
Pour the orange glaze over the warm bread.  Allow to sit for a few minutes--if you can wait!--before slicing and eating. 
 
To store, remove the loaves from the pan and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.  The bread should easily come out of the pans. It freezes well, too.
 
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 
I'm linking up with Friends at:
 
 
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. Add orange glaze to just about anything and I'm in! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like such a comforting bread. I'd love for you to link this up at a link party I'm hosting

    http://thevelvetmoonbaker.blogspot.ie/2013/03/sweet-and-savoury-link-party-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought to mix orange with banana bread but it sounds so yummy I have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh banana bread is my faaavorite! I've never tried orange and banana together either, but I will definitely try next time I make banana bread! Thanks for linking up at Sweet & Savoury Sundays! :) I'm your newest follower on GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie this sounds amazing. Love the orange and banana!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some brown bananas in my pantry right now and I am trying to decide what to make. Banana bread is always a good choice. I love the idea of an orange glaze.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!