Thursday, March 7, 2013

Extra Moist Lemon Coconut Poke Cake

 
Meet my new cake-love
This lemon with coconut poke cake is what every good cake should be...
 
So Easy & fun to make
 
Incredibly moist and tender 
 
Surprise pockets of sweet filling
 
Frosted with buttery yet fluffy homemade vanilla whipped cream
 
Tart, sweet, & divinely delicious!!!
 
 
I made this cake for my brother's birthday he just had, because like us, he is a big lemon lover .  He absolutely loved it!!! 
 
It was definitely birthday cake worthy!
 
 
 
 
 
I love celebrating birthdays, because you are celebrating that person! 
 
 I LOVE my brother, and he is a blessing to me!  I'm really thankful he lives close-by although the rest of our family doesn't.  We always have a good time when we get together!
 
Needless to say, this cake was phenomenal and everyone enjoyed with with a big glass of cold milk.
 

 I love how easy it was to make, and the options for these poke cakes are almost endless.  I wanted lemon as the main flavor, but to add extra texture I thought the coconut was a great idea.  For even more of a coconut flavor, add cream of coconut in place of the sweetened condensed milk and it would be fab!  I think that's usually what goes in a cream of coconut poke cake.
 
I really can't convey to you how moist and fluffy this lemon coconut poke cake is, so if you're a lemon lover like we are please try this recipe out.  It would be the perfect dessert for Easter Sunday or anytime this Spring season!
 
 
Lemon Coconut Poke Cake
 
1 box Lemon Cake Mix
1 large Lemon, divided
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Jar Lemon Curd, or about 1 cup
1 c. Coconut, divided
(You can use frozen/fresh kind or dried, sweetened or unsweetened) 
 
Frosting Ingredients:
2 c. Heavy Whipping Cream
splash Vanilla extract
1/4 c. granulated Sugar
 
 
In a small bowl, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, juice of half the lemon, and about 1/2 cup of coconut.  Stir together well and set aside.
 
Mix the cake up according to the package's directions.  Add the juice of half a (juicy) lemon to the batter when you're mixing it. 
 
Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan, and bake according to the direction.  Mine was about 35 minutes at 350 degrees F. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
 
 As soon as the cake come out of the oven--before it cools at all!-- take the handle of a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the cake.  Don't poke all the way through the cake!
 
Immediately take the milk and coconut mixture and pour all over the cake.  Spread it out to all the edges and allow it to seep into the hot cake.
 
 
Allow the cake to completely cool! 
(I just left mine out on the counter, but if you want, pop it in the fridge.)
 
 Once cooled, spread out the jar of lemon curd all over the cake.
 
Take your cold heavy whipping cream out of the fridge and pour into a large bowl.  Add the vanilla.  Using a mixer, mix on medium until the cream starts to slightly thicken. 
 
Add the sugar and turn the mixer up on med- high until the cream has become quite stiff and turned into "whipped" cream.  Not butter...that would be too long!
 
Lift the beaters, and if you have a stiff mixture then you are good.  I like to whip mine stiffer in this recipe than I normally would since it's used as the icing for the cake.  YUM!
 
Dump out all the whipped cream onto the cooled cake.  Spread out evenly over the lemon curd.  It will be thick, fluffy, and delicious.
 
 
Sprinkle the remaining coconut over the top.
 
Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for at least 2 hours and until you enjoy it.  It lasts in the fridge for 3 days.
 
Enjoy this ultra moist, lusciously delicious cake with a big glass of milk!
 
Thanks for bearing with all the dark pictures lately.  We've had cloudiness almost everyday for a while now! 
 
 
I'm linking up with Friends at:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


14 comments:

  1. Pinning this so I can try it. Lemon is definitely one of my top favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks so delicious! Especially looking at all the pictures along the way - seeing all that creamy, gooey goodness between the cake and frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a wonderful recipe here - looks nicely moist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good!! I will keep this in mind for Easter Sunday:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making homemade cakes for birthdays. My favorite cakes are poke cakes, so this one will be a must to make. Thank you for sharing and Happy Birthday to your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks good enough for Easter!
    thansk!
    BLessings
    http://bit.ly/WtWY60

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Lemon ANYTHING! It reminds me of sunshine and all things Spring. Thanks for sharing at Weekend Potluck, I cannot WAIT to make this. {after lent, when I can have sweets again} ;)
    ~Tonya from 4 little Fergusons

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Breahn, I'm so glad you tried it out and love it, too!!! I bet it was really good with just lemon. Yum! My hubby took some leftover that was like 5 days old to work( I didn't realize!!) and he said everybody went crazy over It. It just gets better, I guess!

    Thanks to everybody for your positive comments about the cake! I was excited it turned out so delicious.
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this looks good--I think my husband would love it!

    Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home. I featured this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this looks SO good. I love both lemon and coconut. It looks so fresh with yellow color. I am thinking it would make an excellent dessert addition to our Easter meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't find you on facebook to tag, but I wanted to drop you a note to say thanks for this gorgeous recipe! I am featuring it today on Weekend Potluck!
    Hugs, Tonya from 4 little Fergusons

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!