Friday, September 23, 2011

Spiced Apple Orchard Bread


Good morning!
I'm off work this today and it's a wonderful day to be off!  

Temps in the low 70's.  

Sunshine breaking up the early morning haze.

I'm enjoying my coffee this morning with a slice of this delicious apple bread!


Anxious to take a country drive into Amish country to visit their general store, bakery and to see if they have any pumpkins for the front porch.

Perhaps stop at a favorite local home decor store.

Baking homemade apple pie.

Dinner and fun times at good friend's home tonight!

I just had to take the time to share with you a recipe I used some of my Jonathan apples, some beautiful golden raisins and pecans.  This is finished with a heavy dusting of cinnamon sugar that just falls in the nooks and cranny's of the top of the bread!

The recipe makes two loaves, but I halved it and made one. I also substituted part of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.  I decided not to add pecans this time, but I will add them the next.  It's tasty, either way!  Bits of apple-y goodness specked this bread, making it moist.  A good contrast from the crisp sugar top and corners --my favorite!

I hope you enjoy this blessed Friday whatever you bake and wherever you go!  :)


Spiced Apple Orchard Bread



  • 2 2/3 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon apple pie spice
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 4 cups coarsely chopped apples
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 teaspoons sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon


  •                                   
    In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla, then stir in chopped apples, raisins, and pecans. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Grease 2 9x5-inch loaf pans and line bottoms with waxed paper. Greased waxed paper. Pour batter into pans, smoothing the top with a spatula or spoon. Bake for 20 minutes at 325°. Pull out rack and sprinkle loaves with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
    Cool for 10 minutes; turn out onto a rack. Slice and serve or freeze.

    (I didn't use wax paper, but just sprayed the loaf oan well with Pam for Baking.)

    4 comments:

    1. You always have the best looking receipes. I am checking the pantry to see what I need to make this...

      ReplyDelete
    2. Delicious! This looks amazing. Found your from Ali's place. Glad I did :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love apple bread! This looks so good! Thanks for sharing, this is a must try.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I found you through another site...love this recipe...I have an apple tree with apples just about ripe...do you think walnuts would substitute...I have tons for Northern California on a recent trip up to visit family...Thanks for sharing!!

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!