Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cozy Pumpkin-Spiced Pecan Pancakes


An overnight stay from my precious sister, a cool September morning, (and a lazy one at that) called for pumpkin spiced pecan pancakes with real maple syrup and a side of crispy bacon!  What a great way to start off our Labor Day!

I lit a few warm scented candles, including my favorite, 1803's Candle "Pumpkin Cornbread", when I first woke up on Monday.  So happy to have my younger sister come over for some girl time and coziness over the weekend.  Mr. Cozy ground fresh some delicious World Market Peaberry coffee and added some Chai Spices to the beans to infuse the coffee with flavor.  

Awe, I wish every morning could start off so relaxed and lovely!


This is a not a complicated recipe at all.  Not much of  "recipe" anyways, but more of a good idea!
Using one of our favorite pancake box mix...

Yes,  box mix.

Maple Farms of Vermont Buttermilk & Honey--it's rather yummy and always lends a fluffy pancake...

I added some creamy canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.
I say that very loosely here, because I was technically out of the true Pumpkin Pie Spice, so I more or less threw in some cinnamon, nutmeg and a bit of allspice.  I was also out of ground cloves.

Yes, I know, I know!  I am soon going to the grocery for the much anticipated annual trip of buying seasonal spices and baking things! Yay!  I look forward to this every year!

Back to the pancakes:  Pancake mix, canned pumpkin, spices, and chopped toasted pecans make up easy and delicious pumpkin spiced pecan pancakes.
Here's a breakfast that should be quite enjoyed on a brisk morning!  This is just a hint of what yummy things lie ahead in my cozy little kitchen in the next couple of months!


Pumpkin Spiced Pecan Pancakes

Pancake Mix 
(and ingredients that are called for)

Canned Pumpkin

Pumpkin Pie Spice
(or Cinnamon
Nutmeg &
Ground Cloves)

Chopped pecans, toasted

Butter


First off over a low heat, toast pecans in a skillet for a few minutes until slightly darkened and fragrant.  Set aside.

Mix up the pancake mix according to the package's directions.  I like to substitute half of the oil it calls for with melted butter.   

Stir in the pumpkin.
I don't have exact proportions for the pumpkin, but I know that I made about 15 medium sized pancakes and used about 3/4 c. pumpkin puree.  I could have used 1cup
 and it would've been perfect!  

Stir in the spices.
I also eye-balled them. 
 I used more cinnamon than the other two, but if using actual pumpkin pie spice it would be about 2 tsp.  (I'm almost afraid to guesstimate here....don't hold me accountable for an exuberantly spicy pancake, please!)  

In a pan over medium heat, swirl enough butter just to coat the bottom.  Carefully pour your beautiful batter into the sizzling butter.  Sprinkle the pecans into the batter pools.  Watch carefully, as the butter will brown your pancakes quickly.

Remove and repeat until all of the batter and pecans are used up.
Serve with warm maple syrup and enjoy your blissful breakfast!

 { When taking this picture, I wasn't expecting to put it on the blog, because the table is far from perfect!  This is it folks...as we are about to dig into all the goods! }

I'm linking up with:

6 comments:

  1. Those pancakes look so YUMMY with their little crispy edges... I bet they were delicious. I love pumpkin!

    Would you like to share this at my Bunny Hop Party? The linky is up until Sunday, but don't wait too long ;)

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious!!! I will have to try this really soon. It was actually a little cooler here in the deep south the past few days.... It felt like fall :-) This would be the perfect Saturday morning breakfast on wonderful cool day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, your pancakes look so yummy! A perfect breakfast for a fall back to school morning, or a leisurely weekend. Thanks so much for visiting Take Six!! Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!! What a taste of Fall! I will definitely try these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must try this recipe this weekend! Pumpkin and fall spices are my favorites. So rich and full.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pumpkin pancakes are one of my favorite things in life!! SOOOOO ready for the fall/winter baking season!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!