Friday, April 1, 2011

Incredibly Buttery Chocolate Chunk Scones

  

     So here I am at the computer with my coffee and new favorite indulgence...to die for scones--err, I mean buttery chocolate chunk scones!  These are incredibly good and perfectly sweet.  This particular one I'm eating right now is still warm from the oven!


     I am off work today, and wanted to bake something with the Scharffen Berger chocolate my husband surprised me with a couple of weeks ago!  Yes, this is a very special thing, because whenever we lived in Louisville a Fresh Market was just down the street from us and  I practically lived there.  I love grocery shopping there, because it's like an experience just to stroll down the isles while listening to their classical music and admire all of the premium produce, meats and fish, homemade bread and pastries, coffee and of course chocolate!  This chocolate is no where to be found where I live now, so when he had to go back to L-ville for a visit, he surprised me with a big basket (my baking sheets one) filled with goodies from Fresh Market which included some semi sweet and bittersweet Scharfeen Berger chocolate .  This stuff is premium for baking and is a pretty penny, but it's rare for me to have it and I love the way it makes everything over the top delicious!

  
     Anyways, so I felt inspired by my favorite, Kirchoff's Bakery.  Yes, the one in Paducah that lets me know ,via facebook, every morning of what delectable pastries they have made for the day.  So I thought I'd make something along those lines...perhaps something you could find in a little patisserie!  What better than chocolate chunk scones?  Perfect to showcase the chocolate without any other competing flavors other than the crumbly, buttery pastry itself.  What a match made in the cozy little kitchen's Heaven! (Oh my, the Hubby will be thrilled when he finds these when getting home from a long day!) 

     I found this particular recipe in The Ghiradelli Chocolate Cookbook.  I know, I know.  I didn't use Ghiradella chocolate in them, because I didn't have any.  I do love Ghiradelli chocolate and that would be a wonderful substitute that's easier to find.  It's an easy recipe to follow.  I don't think I changed anything major, except I did use bittersweet chocolate instead of semi-sweet, so I was quite heavy handed on the sugar sprinkling at the end.  I gave them a thick coat of sugar for a crispy sweet top that goes well with the soft center. 

     These chocolate chunk scones are a treat that's sure to be written in my own recipe book!  For an afternoon snack, dessert, or a lovely breakfast you can enjoy these hot from the oven, for they have "delicious" written all over each bite!



Incredibly Buttery Chocolate Chunk Scones


2 c. all purpose flour

1 Tbsp. baking powder

1/3 c. granulated white sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

6 oz. semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate baking bars, coarsely chopped

6 Tbsp. butter (3/4 stick), cut into cubes
(I have to add here, that I just now realized I actually put in a whole stick.  No wonder it was so yum!)

3/4 c. heavy cream

2 egg yolks


Glaze

1 large egg

1 Tbsp. half n half (milk is fine, too)

1 Tbsp. sugar


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

To make the scones in a large bowl, whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients until combined.  Add the chopped chocolate and stir until mixed.  


With a pastry blender, cut in the butter.




In a small bowl, stir together heavy cream and egg yolk until slightly blended.  Add to the four mixture and stir with a spoon until the dough just starts to come together.  Use your hands to knead the dough until it can be gathered into a moist ball.  Do not over knead!--the stickiness of the dough is good.


Set the ball on the prepared baking sheet and flatten out to form a round about 8 inches in diameter and 1 inch thinck.. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into eight wedges and separate the wedges about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.


For the glaze, lightly beat the egg and milk.  Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of each scone with the mixture and sprinkle with sugar.



Bake the scones for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.  Let cool slightly before serving, about 10 minutes.  These can be stored for 2-3 days.  Makes 8 servings.



3 comments:

  1. These look scrumdidlyumptious..and I'm not much of a milk chocolate or scone fan...but the texture of the scones shown here and the semisweet replacement sounds to die for in combination! Like perfect indulgent study food. You're more than welcome to mail some my way since I don't have time to make them:)

    Have a blessed day! love, JLR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank so much, Jessica! Ya know, I've never been a big scone person myself b/c they're usually on the tough side, but these turned out so moist and crumbly! LOl...maybe I'll surprise you with some one day;)

    Love and Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh these look great! i think i am going to try making these next week! thanks for sharing, i was just looking for a scone recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!