Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Slow-Cooked Apple Cider Pork Medallions

Hello! As my first post, I thought I would share the tasty and relatively thrown together dinner I prepared tonight. It turned out just yummy! I had some pork loin that I knew I needed to use very soon before it was too late, and I didn't have much time to prepare before going into work. So with the help of my trusty crock pot (thanks, Mom, for the wedding gift!) here's what I came up with. I love the classic combo of pork and apples, and with that made my Slow-Cooked Apple Cider Pork Medallions. It's easy and sure to please.

Sear your pork over med-high heat in Olive Oil or Canola (I use Olive) for just a couple minutes per side. Season nicely with salt and pepper. You want to give the meat a nice brown crust. While that is going, get out Apple Cider, Beef Boullion Cube, Ground Dry Mustard, half of a Shallot, a couple of Yellow Potatoes (New Potatoes would work as well) and a Gala Apple.

Keep in mind I am preparing this for just my husband and I, so use as much as you need. I usually don't precisely measure any of my own recipes, a tip I inherited from Mom.
Once the Pork is seared, place it into a crock pot that is already set to LOW. In a separate bowl, pour a bit of the Cider, couple shakes of the Mustard and Salt and Pepper to stir together before pouring over the meat. Once that is incorporated, pour the mixture over the Pork and add more Cider till it's just covering the meat. Add the Beef Boullion Cube, diced Potatoes and Apple, and minced Shallot. Work this down into the cider and pork a bit and put the lid back on.

I let mine cook for about 4 1/2 hrs. Keep in mind, I had only about 6 small pork loins, 2 potatoes, and 1 apple. More food will probably require a bit more time.

After that time, I brought some of the cidery-broth to a boil in a small sauce pan and added a cornstarch and water mixture to thicken. It begins to bubble and create a delicious gravy.

Plate the pork with potatoes and apples and then pour some of your cider gravy over it all.

It was so mouth watering good! The pork was so tender I literally just ate it with a fork...no knife at all! The combination of the pork and apples especially in the fall is so good, and with the buttery golden potatoes and shallot, O! You will love this and so will your family. It would be so good with homemade dinner rolls or a toasty bread to sop up the gravy. They'll never know you didn't slave away in the kitchen over this beautiful dish!

Grocery List:

Pork Loin Chops
Gala Apple
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Shallot
Apple Cider
1 Beef Boullion Cube
Dry Mustard
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil
Cornstarch


6 comments:

  1. Great start Leslie. I would love to see a list of ingredients at the beginning or end of recipe. Cant wait to try it or be invited over to try it(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome!! I adore crock-pot cooking especially in the fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this last night (exams, schmexams), but had some for lunch today. Wow! Thanks, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie or should I say Julia? I adore and admire your new blog. I am eager to try this recipe and await your newest and latest recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This time I added sweet potatoes,too! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!