Friday, November 7, 2014

Chewy Caramelitas


Say hello to my new favorite decadent dessert, carmelitas!!!

At first glance you can see how delicious they look!  These bars have an outer layer similar to a soft and chewy oatmeal cookie and they're filled with caramel and chocolate!  What a scrumptious combination and perfect for the fall season.

I've been spying this recipe for a while on Pinterest, and when Mr. Cozy finished his last Chairman's conference at work, I thought these yummy bars could help us celebrate.  Needless to say, my sweet tooth of a husband loved them, but we all did!  They're fast to whip up and most of the ingredients I keep on hand.  I didn't have quite enough caramels this time, but I melted some butterscotch chips along with the caramel.  They were still delicious, but the next time I'll make sure I have plenty of caramels so they'll live up to their name.  Also a dash of cinnamon in the crumble would be so perfect....(I can't not tweak a recipe!)


I would only tell you the honest truth, and caramelitas are amazing!  

So maybe the next time you want to surprise your family with a homemade treat you can try them out.  Pour a glass of frosty milk or fresh coffee with a caramelita for a perfect way to unwind on a chilly day!


Caramelitas
From: My Crazy Deliciousness

3/4 c. Melted butter
3/4 c. Brown sugar
1 c. All purpose flour
1 c. Old Fashioned oats
1 tsp. Baking Soda
Dash of salt
32 Caramels, unwrapped
1/2 c. Heavy cream
6 oz. Chocolate chips (I used 1 cup.)

Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a medium bowl mix melted butter and the next 5 ingredients.  Spread out half the mixture in a 8x8 inch baking dish.  Bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, carefully heat the caramels and cream over the stove in a saucepan or in a bowl in the microwave.  Whisk together until smooth and creamy.

Once the crust is baked evenly spread out chocolate chips and drizzle the caramel over top.  Crumble the remaining oat mixture over it all and carefully spread out.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting.  Enjoy alone or with vanilla ice cream!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, these look absolutely delicious! Heading out to the kitchen right now to try them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing, and a perfect treat for the Holidays coming up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!