Thursday, October 31, 2013

Easy Homemade Cookie Butter Frosting!




Candy corn, sprinkles and cupcakes for a chilly, wet October day.  Life is sweet!

First I'm happy to share that finally (!) just this week, the trees have really become brilliant in color, and the leaves seem to delicately sprinkle from the sky, creating a carpet of many colors in our yard! This beauty is a gift from our Creator!  I'm loving every day of it.





Yesterday, I wanted to make a fun treat that the children could help with, something I could top with festive sprinkles that would be delicious in the way of the fall season!  The kids love cupcakes!  I already had a box yellow cake mix ... perfect!!  They helped me mix up the batter by pouring in ingredients and stirring, even though we used the stand mixer.  My little helpers had a ball in the kitchen!  The park--in all it's jungle-gym glory--wouldn't make them as happy as they are when making dessert with Mommy! :D

The yellow cupcakes baked so moist and tender.  I used extra large eggs which just work best in baking, and we mixed the batter... A lot!  I think those things helped to produce a really fluffy cupcake.  Not to mention, box mixes can make fantastic, easy cakes!

However, I did want to make a decadent homemade frosting to top our cupcakes with.  While the kids napped, I decided to whip the frosting together and do "my magic" to surprise them with some finished ones when they got up!  I was about to make my go-to rich chocolate frosting which is a classic with yellow cake, but I wanted to be adventurous and try out something new!  

Mr. Cozy and I absolutely love Biscoff cookie butter, and he has mentioned to me before about making another dessert using that.  Last year I made some outrageously good mini cookie trifles and topped them with cookie butter whipped cream.  It was certainly a winning recipe that I happened to make on the fly.  Don't you just love those sudden ideas!

(FYI: Cookie butter isn't butter at all, but a sweet cinnamon-gingerbready tasting spread that is wonderful alone, on graham crackers, or in recipes like this!  If you've ever had a classic Biscoff cookie, you know what (Biscoff) cookie butter tastes like.)

So I decided to make Cookie Butter Frosting!!!  I can't take credit for the recipe, but I'm so glad I found it on Pinterest.  It's really easy to make, has only 4 ingredients, has the perfect consistency, and it is delicious! The cookie butter frosting tasted perfect on yellow cupcakes, but it would look beautiful piled high on chocolate cupcakes, too!   Hmm..... 

Please. You have to try cookie butter frosting to jazz up your own box cupcakes or any other special cookie or cake!  

Happy Fall Baking Y'all!!!

Homemade Cookie Butter Frosting
Adapted from Dinner Dishes and Dessert

1 c. Butter (2 sticks)
1 c. Cookie Butter, such as Biscoff (mine was Trader Joes)
4 c. Powdered Sugar
4 Tbsp. Half n half

With an electric mixer, beat together butter and cookie butter.  Mix until blended.  Turn down the mixer to low, add the milk, and slowly add the sugar.  Add a little more more milk or sugar if you need to get a different consistency.  Turn the mixer up and beat until no lumps remain.

Frost onto cooled cupcakes.  Refrigerate cupcakes if you're making them for the next day.

Will be more than enough frosting for 24 cupcakes. :)

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of cookie butter, I 'm going to look for it! I love flavors like that! So fun getting the little people in the kitchen to help! also,Do you have a recipe to make a cookie cake, like the ones you get at Great American Cookie Company? I've tried using choc chip cookie mix from a bag (Duncan Hines), but it didn't taste or look the same...was too flat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I hope you get to try out this recipe. I think you'll love it!
    I don't have a big cookie recipe on my blog, although I recently Pinned one I'm wanting to try out soon. You can wait for me to try it out, or look me up on Pinterest. I think it's labeled under my Cookies board with a cute turkey on it. :D
    Let me know if you make one and how you like the recipe... I Love cookie "cakes"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds amazing! I bet the kids loved it...happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't tried it until recently, but I knew I'd love it because I LOVE those biscoff cookies they give you on airplanes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!