Thursday, August 29, 2013

Summer's Bounty Fresh Corn Fritters



This summer I've really taken advantage of all the delicious bounty of fresh corn we've had in Kentucky this year!  There is something so wholesome and summery about shucking silky corn and cutting it off the cob.  I feel like my inner Little House on the Prairie spirit comes alive!  Then you're left with golden or peaches and cream (my fave) niblets that are ready to do so many beautiful things with.

Fresh corn is of my favorite vegetables to eat, and our children love it every bit as much!!  :)  That's a good excuse to buy even more and try out new recipes. Yay!  I made corn chowder a couple weeks ago and it was a hit, but these fresh corn fritters are just down right mouth-watering delicious!!! 

From what I gather, corn fritters are corn cakes.  Tomato/ tomahto.  I think "fritter" is just fun to say!  If you're a country mouse like me, you probably have made hush puppies or fried corn bread before.. (Insert: if not, you haven't lived yet.  Get on this Southern train!) ... and these fritters are pretty similar to those delicious things.  


Let me elaborate.

Freshly cut corn is stirred into a thick and creamy corn meal and flour batter that's laced with a little sugar and a dash of heat.  They are pan fried to a golden brown--preferably in cast iron--which makes them crispy on the outside and still moist.  Then drizzled with lush raw honey to finish.  These cakes are brimming with corn, and I think they're the most perfect summer side with almost anything!  Last night I made them with Sticky Crock Pot Drumsticks and baked beans.  It was a great meal.  

I'm finally back in the swing of things with my cooking.  It took a couple months after bringing home our children to re-learn how to cook while meeting every one's needs.  Lol, it was taking me almost 3 hours to make supper....  That wasn't flying!  Now, our kiddos have more understanding of what mommy is doing in the kitchen, and that it takes time and work to put dinner on the table.  :) I really enjoy cooking for my family now!!  

Thankfully, we had very generous friends and church family who brought us amazing, homemade suppers during the first 3 weeks!  I could've kissed them for that!! I can't express what a big help it was in that difficult first month.  Now that I'm fully aware of how much you can bless a new mommy and daddy with a hot meal, I'll be sure and do the same for others.

My husband and children LOVED these corn fritters, so they'll be something I'm anxious to make again!  I made a big batch so we have some leftover ones to enjoy with breakfast or another meal soon.  Though I have to say, they are the best hot and sizzling just out of the skillet.  If you're up to you ears with ears of corn (hehe), you really need to make some fresh corn fritters!  Let me know what you think!


I found the original recipe at Tamarind and Thyme.  I changed a few things including the addition of some cornmeal, which I think is essential. This recipe is about double of the original.

Fresh Corn Fritters
Serves 4-6 generously

1 1/2 c. All purpose flour
1/2 c. Yellow cornmeal
2 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
Dash of Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp. Sugar
2 Extra large eggs
3/4 -1 c. Milk (You want enough to make a very thick pancake batter consistency.)
Fresh corn kernels cut from 4 cobs
Oil for frying
Honey, for drizzling!(!)


In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, paprika. Cayenne, salt and sugar.  

Stir in the cracked eggs one at a time, then gradually stir in the milk until it's a thick pancake consistency or close to hush puppy batter (for all you Southern folk :).  Stir well to combine.


Stir in the corn.


In a large cast iron skillet, add canola or peanut oil about 1/2 inch deep, and put on medium heat.  Once the oil is hot,  (which you may need to turn it up to medium high for the right temp at first) begin pouring about 1/4 c of batter for each corn fritter.  If you need to, smooth out the batter a bit with your measuring cup you used to pour.


See?  You want them to get all bubbly before you turn them.


Carefully, turn each one.  They should be a golden brown.  

Once flipped, carefully smash down just a little if the cake looks too thick to cook through.  If you do happen to find your fritters are getting too dark, turn down your heat a little.  Remove the fritters when both sides are golden.  It only takes a few minutes per batch.  

Sprinkle with salt when they've just come out.  


I like to line a cookie sheet with paper towels for them to drain on.  I keep the cookie sheet in the oven on about 275 degrees while frying the next batch so the fritters stay really warm.

After you pile them high on a platter, take your delicious honey and make these the best corn fritters ever by drizzling it all over!  It's okay if it gets on the plate, too... just more to sop up! 

Share, eat and enjoy.



Sharing with friends at:
 
 





20 comments:

  1. They sure do look good and I've pinned the post to add to a meal next week. You do a great job on your food photos and I'm anxious to serve these. Have a beautiful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves corn! He might enjoy these. ~M.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! http://redesignedbym.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious!! have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful! I will print out the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...I an sitting here right after eating breakfast and my mouth is watering for some of those! I am so going to make some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had a corn fritter, but your pictures and recipe have me wanting one right away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing. So thrilled about your new family. Many blessings to you all, blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, yum! I've never made these - Dearest would love them! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look really good! Thank you for sharing at HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so great. I know we would all love them. I have never eaten fritters before. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also congrats on our new little one. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  12. how many cups of corn do you use? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look very tasty! My hubby is from Oklahoma so I know he will LOVE these! I would love for you to link up at the TGIF Link Party! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/09/tgif-link-party-19.html

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look really good, I think I will try these. Thanks for the recipe and pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Leslie,

    I made these & they were a hit! So delicious. I've made them again since & varied them up a little with some shredded zucchini & added a little honey to the mixture. Delish!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julia, that sounds delicious with zucchini! Thanks for trying out the recipe and sharing your tips with me! Hope you can find more recipes to try here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. GREAT recipe. I used Jiffy cornbread mix instead of the corn meal. Fantastic. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe. Will make these beauties often!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!