Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Faith's Country Blackberry Cobbler!


I'm surprised I've never shared this recipe with you before!  One of my all-time favorite summer desserts is definitely homemade blackberry cobbler!!!  I grew up with Mom making this all the time. 


Blackberry cobbler reminds me of: 

Summer-time

Life in the country

Fried Chicken

Picking little wild blackberries on my grandparent's farm as a child

Purple stained hands

Seeds in my teeth

Granny's house

Mom's house

Sitting on the front porch

Being hot

Running through the sprinkler with my little brother

4th of July picnics

Vanilla Ice cream

Happy Memories
 

 What's better than a sweet and juicy jewel-toned blackberry filling with a buttery topping that's been poured over the top, that bakes into a soft-in-the-center, crisp-on the-edges kind of crust!

I love how when it bakes, the filling bubbles up to create ponds--if you will--of  sweet blackberry juice all over the cobbler!  I just have to sacrifice my tongue for the good of my tummy and take a tiny bite of the corner almost right out of the oven....bubbling and hot. (As shown here in the picture.)  It looks and smells too good to wait any longer for a taste! 

Mom has a great recipe, but this particular one is my sister Faith's recipe that she found years ago and we all love.   She's an incredible baker!!!  This recipe has lots of butter, which makes it that much more delicious.  Also, it's sooo easy!  We love cobblers with a pour over crust, so you don't have to fuss with a regular pie crust.  Faith has added Mom's crust recipe to make this a "Faith original"!

If you've never made a blackberry cobbler, now is the time!  Go to a local blackberry farm if you have one, because they are in season.  If you don't, use frozen blackberries and honestly no one will know the difference!

This dessert defines summer.  So, get your milk glasses frosting in the freezer, some vanilla ice cream on hand, and relish in the one of the good things about the "dog days of summer"....Homemade Blackberry Cobbler! 

Faith's Blackberry Cobbler

Filling
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 c. fresh blackberries
OR
2 (14oz.) bags frozen blackberries

Mom's Crust
1 c.sugar
1c. flour
3/4 c. milk
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Preheat your even to 425 degrees F.
For the filling, stir together the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. 

Gently stir in the blackberries until sugar mixture is crumbly.
Spoon fruit into lightly greased 11x7 baking dish.

For the crust, stir together all of the ingredients.  I mix the dry first and then pour in the melted butter.

Pour this batter over the blackberry filling.
That's it!

Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown along the edges!
Serve warm with ice cream, if you like!
Serves 8-10

Linking up with friends at:











8 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I am your newest follower. I think I will try this recipe this weekend.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Leslie! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog & left a comment!
    Your blackberry cobbler looks just like the ones my Mother & Grandmas made. YUM! I can't wait to try your recipe. I'm following your blog now, can't wait to check out all your recipes!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful...I posted a peach cobbler the other day on my site and this looks delicious too! I love making fresh fruit cobblers and crisps! My husband and I have been making lots of desserts and freezing them for later...our fruit trees are loaded! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cobblers this time of year. Your blackberry version is totally making me hungry right now :) Thank you so much for sharing this, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy!!! I love cobblers and we just picked blackberries this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking the time to post this!!! I love the memories you have and am excited to try this new recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Leslie! It looks so delicious! I pinned it! Congratultions on your new home! It is adorable! Wishing you a wonderful week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blackberry cobbler is one of my all time favorites - although I have never actually made it myself! This looks delicious! I can't wait to try your recipe!

    Your strawberry chicken salad looks yummy too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!