Monday, February 20, 2012

Creamy Broccoli-Cheddar Soup


I hope everyone is having a good start to the week.  I just got off work today and decided to start a new post of something, savory!!!  It's kinda crazy, right?  Ha, it seems like I've had a big sweet tooth in the cozy little kitchen the past couple of months.  Today I'm sharing a recipe of one of my all-time favorite soups, broccoli-cheese!  This was the very first time for me to make this soup at home!  I knew I was going to make it the moment I saw it on The Pioneer Woman t.v. show a couple of weeks ago.  I made it that very night--and like all the rest of her recipes-- it looked so good !

This is her recipe that I've tweaked to make it a little more healthy.  Instead of half and half and whole milk, I used whole and skim milk -with maybe a small dash of half n half. (Mom likes using evaporated milk in soups to make it creamy--I need to try that out sometime.)  I added some Canadian bacon that I already had in the fridge.  It still lends that smoky pork flavor that the soup needs, and it's much leaner than bacon because it's actually pork loin.  I love Canadian bacon!  I also cut the amount of butter she used in half and added a bit of olive oil.

For all you broccoli & cheese fans, this soup is sooo yummy.  Unfortunately, Mr. Cozy really doesn't like broccoli & cheese anything!  

Sorry Honey, but that's just weird!

He even compares the taste to old shoes.  Gross.  Forgive me for sharing this mental image. :/  I have no idea how he could ever think that about this recipe, but that just means more for moi!!!!

Fresh beautiful broccoli in a creamy soup oozing with cheddar cheese and flavors of smoky pork, this is a comfort food no doubt!  If you're like me and make a pot of soup every week in the winter, then this one should make the rotation soon.  Cozy up with a bowl of creamy broccoli-cheddar soup! 


Creamy Broccoli-Cheddar Soup

1 onion, diced
3 slices Canadian bacon, diced small
1/2 stick (1/4 c.) butter
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/3 c. flour
4 c. whole milk
2 c. skim milk
4 heads broccoli, washed and cut into florets
1 pinch nutmeg
3 c. freshly grated cheddar cheese (I used sharp, but use whatever you want)
dash of salt
black pepper
chicken broth, if needed for thinning


Melt butter and olive oil in a pot over medium heat, then add the Canadian bacon to brown for about 2 minutes.  Take out and set aside for later.  Add onions and bit more butter, if needed.  Cook the onions for 3-4 minutes, then sprinkle the flour over the top.  

Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute or so, then pour in milk.  Add nutmeg, then add broccoli, a small dash of salt, and plenty of black pepper.

Cover and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. 
Add the Canadian bacon pieces. 

(Next, I used an immersion blender to blend the soup altogether making the broccoli into smaller bits.  You can definitely choose not to do this part if you want!)

Stir in cheese and allow to melt.
Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.  Add a bit of chicken broth or more milk to thin out if needed.

Serve in a delicious bread bowl if you dare! (SO yummy, but I had to restrain for the waistline, this time!)  
Enjoy!


I'm linking up with:




 

7 comments:

  1. Yum! One of my favorite soups. I will have to remember your moms tip. That would be great to have in the pantry so use in creamy soups. Soups aren't my husbands favorites either but if I have some good bread and a big salad he will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie! Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment! Our blogs look like sisters ;-) This broccoli and cheese soup looks delicious and it will be going right in my recipe box...XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, Katie, I like the comment that our blogs look like sisters...so true!! :D
    I'm so glad you came to visit!!!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think my kids will eat this! great way to disguise that its good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made my first batch of broccoli cheese soup after Christmas and it was a HUGE hit! YUMMMM!
    I just want to say thanks for your kind comment at my place and to say how much I enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy!!I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!