Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Beef Stew Savory



Do you guys like my new darker hair color in my profile pic?  I love it! I've found that I like changing to a richer hue for the holidays, and I'm feeling more festive already!!!  This time of year is my very favorite--it has been all my life.  I'm like a child in that I still get so excited about Thanksgiving and Christmas!  There's nothing wrong with that, right?? :)  

This stew recipe is delicious!  It's a recipe that my mother-in-love has made for years, and we've always enjoyed so much.  I've added just a couple of things to suit our taste perfectly.  This is a hearty stew that is comforting and filling.  It's quite perfect to come home to simmering in the crock pot on a chilly day to warm you up!

I love using tender and juicy leftover pot roast if I have that (a trick from Mom), but if not it's okay because cooking in the crock pot gives you that tender falling apart meat and allows all the herbs and spices to blend together deliciously.

On this beautiful night I'm thinking I'll have to make this again soon, but for now I'll just curl up on the couch and enjoy my coffee!  

Happy November everyone!!!


Beef Stew Savory

1 1/2 lb. stew meat

1 Tbsp oil

1 clove garlic, minced

1 medium onion, chopped

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

1 can tomato soup

1 beef bouillon cube, and 1 c. water

1/2 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp. thyme

1/2 c. ketchup

5 dashes Worcestershire sauce

3 medium carrots, chopped about 1 in. pieces

2 celery stalks, chopped

4 medium potatoes, chopped about 1 in. pieces


Brown beef in oil over medium high heat in a dutch oven. (Try not to crown pan, and brown in two batches if you have to.)  

Turn heat down to medium and add garlic and onion.  Saute until transparent.  Salt and pepper.

Stir in soup, bouillon cube and water.  Add herbs, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.

Transfer to the crock pot set on low heat.  Add the carrot, celery and potatoes.  Add more water if needed and more salt and pepper to taste.


Simmer on low heat for 6-8 hours.  Enjoy with warm rolls and a salad! 
Serves 6


FYI:
(For some reason I've been having a lot of trouble linking up with other parties. :o(  I'm not sure what's going on...it says that my tag is broken and can't be accepted....that is why I haven't joined any this week. )


 




1 comment:

  1. This stew looks delicious, and I have some left over roast that I need to use. Thanks for visiting and leaving your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!