Thursday, July 28, 2011

Irresistable Tropical Pineapple & Coconut Bars


This is a Paula Deen dessert recipe.
That is all I should have to say!


I came across this recipe in an older Paula Deen magazine, and I immediately knew by the picture that these bars would be mouthwateringly d'lish!  Every single Paula Deen dessert I've made has been unbelieveably good!!  (Here's my favorite cookbook of hers.)


I quickly made the decision that this would be the dessert to make for a visit from my wonderful mom and sis!  We were not dissapointed--these are amazing!  Gooey, chewy and sweet pinapple in the middle that's sandwiched between a crumbly coconut shortbread-like crust and a toasted coconut topping. (!!!) 

These are seriously yummy! :)  We nibbled on these bars all afternoon.  I mean we could've skipped the fried chicken dinner, I made, for these pineapple and coconut bars if that tells you how good these really are! (Trust me fried chicken is a rare treat for us.) 

Yes, we kind of splurged on Saturday.  Although I did also make a yummy, fresh from the Farmer's Market salad with heirloom tomatoes, avocado and mozzarella tossed in a olive oil vinagrette that was light and tasty!  I'll have to make it again and tell you guys more about it...

Please make these if you like coconut or pineapple even a little bit, because they will become one of your favorite desserts to make!  Easy and good, how does it get better than that?  Frost some milk glasses and you'll be ready to sit down for a treat with some tropical pineapple & coconut bars!


Tropical Pineapple and Coconut Bars


3 1/2 c. all purpose flour, divided

1 c. sweetened flaked coconut

1 c. firmly packed brown sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

1 c. butter, divided

1 c. sugar

3 large eggs

1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained well

Garnish: toasted flaked coconut *Must*



Preheart oven to 350.  Lightly grease a 13x9 in. baking pan.

In a large bowl, combie 2 1/2 c. flour, coconut, brown sugar and baking soda.  




Using a pastry blender, cut 1/2 c. butter until mixture is crumbly. 


Reserve 1 c. crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

In a medium bowl, beat remaining 1/2 c. butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixture until creamy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Gradually beat in remaining 1 c. flour.


Stir in pineapple.



Spread mixture over baked layer.



Sprinkle evenly with remaining crumb mixture.



Bake for 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted somes out clean.


Add the delicious toasted coconut to the top and allow to cool before cutting into squares.


Eat and be merry. :)



I'm linking up with:
















10 comments:

  1. I just made those last week and they are FANTASTIC!!!!! highly recommended. : )
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty Leslie! I love coconut everything. I am gonna pin & stumble this. Thank you for the recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I had to come back and look some more. I love to cook too. I am gonna gain 100 lbs, if I don't get out of your recipe file!!! Coconut Pineapple!!! the best combo ever!!! Makin these too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Pineapple and coconut would be divine together. I am definitely checking out all your recipes. Glad I found you today via Imparting Grace:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a batch in the oven right now! so excited! Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're making them! Sounds delicious, as I haven't baked some up in far too long. Tell me how you like them and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crust recipe isn't correct. It is too dry and for the amount of other ingredients, you need more butter. I used another stick of butter (1/2c.) & it was just right..........Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, I'm glad you tried out the recipe! What I have written here is the amount Paula Dean uses in her recipe and always has worked for me, but it is supposed to be crumbly. If another stick of butter works better for you I say go for it! I'm all about making a recipe your own. :)

      Delete
  8. I may be having a senior moment, but I can't find a way to print this recipe. It sounds terrific and I'm too lazy to hand write it. lol Spoiled much?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!