Thursday, March 25, 2010

Good Morning Blueberry Muffins

 

Breakfast might just be my favorite meal of the day.  I think it brings good memories of me waking up as a child to the smell of bacon frying, biscuits and gravy or our Sunday morning treat--cinnamon rolls!  I am a coffee lover, and I so enjoy the smell of the freshly brewed coffee and taste of the first sip to get you going.  Eating breakfast out is nice, but eating a hot breakfast at home is great on a lazy morning. 
  
These blueberry muffins are a recipe my husband grew up eating as a child.  They are filled with plump, juicy blueberries in a batter that's rich with whole grains and warm spices! Perfect to start off the morning with a steaming cup of your favorite coffee.  
  
Here are a few tips that I have found to help me make this recipe the very best: Before you cream the sugar and butter together, let the butter stand to soften for about an hour or so.  Once you add the wet ingredients, the batter will look a little clumpy (which I kind of flipped out about at first) but precede with adding the dry ingredients and it will turn out perfectly.  I don't like to stir the batter too much. I just stir to combine so that the muffins are left very tender and fluffy.  I have used fresh and frozen blueberries, and they are both delicious.  I always add a couple more berries to the top of the batter, after I fill the muffin cups, to give the muffins the look that they are truly bursting with blueberries!
  
There are actually some healthy benefits to these muffins: like the whole wheat flour, wheat germ and all the anti-oxidants in the blueberries.  I have heard that you could probably substitute about half of the butter for applesauce and still have the right consistency while reducing the fat.  I am always on the lookout for a tasty and healthful recipe to make!
  
These are truly some of the best homemade muffins I have had.  When you wake up to the anticipation of these yummy blueberry muffins, you will start your day with a very good morning!


Good Morning Blueberry Muffins

1c. sugar
1/2c. butter or margarine
1c. milk
1 egg
1c. all-purpose flour
1c. whole wheat flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4c. wheat germ (I used honey wheat germ)
1c. fresh or frozen blueberries (I usually add a few more!)

Mix in the order given.  I creamed the sugar and butter with a mixer first, added the milk and egg and mixed well.  Then I combined all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix them in just until combined. Carefully stir in the blueberries.  Evenly divide the batter among the muffin cups.
Bake in well greased muffin pans in a 400 degree F. oven for 22-25 minutes.
Serves about a bakers dozen. (12-13)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!