Friday, March 10, 2017

Classic Banana Muffins


Last weekend was one of those gloriously relaxed weekends! 

My husband was home and off work the entire Saturday and Sunday ( woowhooo!!!) which happens about one weekend a month.  It's just so nice to spend mornings together.  We could sleep a little later and linger a little longer around our coffee and around the table.  I thought I would take advantage of the small bunch of very ripe bananas I had and made a delicious breakfast treat for my family!  I knew our kids would love some fresh, warm muffins to go along with the eggs I made--(eggs are our kiddo's favorite!). 


This time I loaded the scrambled eggs with some leftover roasted and seasoned potatoes from the night before, sauteed bell peppers, and onion along with salt, pepper, and paprika. If I wanted to splurge I would also add a handful of cheese at the last minute, but instead we doused the eggs with our favorite hot sauce, Cholula. We love this Mexican style hot sauce with eggs for breakfast.  Smoky, a slight heat, and tangy... perfect for flavor without extra calories and fat. 



The deliciously tender and flavorful muffins were the perfect nod to sweetness to balance out the savory eggs. A fresh mug of steamy dark roast coffee made this a breakfast that stuck with us throughout the entire morning! 

I'm sure you've made banana muffins or bread before, and I have made them from a dozen different recipes-- several which are on my blog here-- but these were a classic recipe and simple and easy.  They came out perfectly!  I will certainly make this recipe again, and that's pretty much the qualification of sharing a recipe with you. If we love the food and will want it again, I want to let you all in on it, too!

Now the question for this crazy Kentucky weather-weekend is what am I going to make on the potential snow day we are supposed to randomly get tomorrow!?  Yesterday the high was 75 degrees and tomorrow is going to be in the 30's!  Potato soup, perhaps?? 

What do you all enjoy cooking up on snow days? I would LOVE to get some good ideas!




Classic Banana Muffins

Adapted from: My Mommy Style


1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 large ripe bananas (I used 4 medium)
3/4 c. white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. butter melted (I used melted coconut oil. Delicious.)


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat muffin pans with non stick baking spray or use paper liners.
  • Sift together the flour, and next 4 ingredients; set aside.
  • Combine bananas, sugar and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.  Fold in flour mixture, and mix until dry ingredients are combined.  Do not over mix. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter in each muffin tin.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.

Note:  I made the addition of cinnamon to this recipe. I really love it in banana muffins. Also I decided for health reasons to substitute butter with coconut oil.  The consistency is very similar and doesn't change the flavor, but it's better for our heart. 









3 comments:

  1. I have some bananas rotting, errr... ripening on the counter as I type! Perfect for this weirdly cold weekend! Also, I had a turkey in the freezer, so I pulled it out a couple days ago and have it brining in the fridge ready for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your muffins look so good and cinnamon sounds like a good addition. I'm definitely going to make some with your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!