Thursday, April 2, 2015

Luscious Spaghetti Carbonara


Let me be quick and to the point.

I love this pasta!!! 

It's insanely good, and it's a Tyler Florence recipe which is always the ultimate kind.  He can rock some recipes!

If you've never had it before, Spaghetti Carbonara is a simple and a relatively inexpensive meal.  His recipe calls for bacon although I think pancetta is the original way to make it.  It's rich and very decadent which is probably why I haven't made it at home yet, because I usually save those meals for the special dinner out.  My kids ravaged their plates and asked for more, so needless to say it was a major hit at our house!


If I have any Italian comfort food fans out there, here is your go-to dinner for a fancy pants meal without all the fuss.  Perfect for birthdays, dinner parties, or a Friday night- classic movie night at home!


Spaghetti Carbonara

Kosher Salt (I used sea salt.)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I omitted this since my bacon was fatty enough, but I'm sure it's good.)
8 slices of bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
1 onion, chopped
4 large eggs
6 Tbsp. heavy cream (I used half n half.)
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 lb. spaghetti
1/4 c. chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (I used fresh basil.)

Bring a big pot of salted water to boil for the spaghetti.

Heat a three count of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the bacon and onion and cook for 7-8 minutes, until onion is caramelized and the bacon is crisp.  While that is going, crack the eggs into a large serving bowl.  Scrape the bacon and onion into the bowl along with the cooking fat. (I drained the fat here instead....sorry Tyler but a girl has to think of her arteries from time to time.)

By now your pasta water has come to a boil. Throw in the spaghetti and give it a stir to separate the strands; cook for the time allotted on the box for al dente pasta. Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water and add that to the bowl while whisking the bacon and eggs the entire time.  (You want to be careful not to curdle the eggs here.)  Then drain the pasta and add it to the bowl.  Give everything a toss.  Invert a plate on top of the bowl top hold in the heat and let the pasta set for 5 minutes.  Remove the plate and toss in some salt and lots of cracked black pepper (YUM!) and the parsley, and you will have a beautiful, comforting Italian dinner!


**Tyler Florence is the BOSS of cooking, so I recommend doing it his way first. :)


Sharing with friends at:

Photobucket


 

5 comments:

  1. This is delicious!! My kids love it! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie,
    Your Spaghetti Carbonara looks fantastic, this is a dish that we would just love! Thanks so much for sharing and thanks for stopping by The Cottage for a visit!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will feature this tomorrow at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. How delicious! Spaghetti Carbonara is one of my absolute favorites, yet for some reason I've never made it at home! This recipe sounds really good! Hope you had a wonderful Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eating carbonara at restaurants but my fear of eating raw eggs and the fear that it will taste eggy has stopped me from doing so :( any ideas on how to make sure the eggs are cooked?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!