Saturday, January 31, 2015

Winter Weeknight Taco Soup


It's been a wonderful Saturday with slightly warmer weather and just enough sun shining to refresh the soul!  We went to the movie theater to see Paddington as a family at the early bird showing, and we had a great time together.  What a cute movie!!  Nowadays I'm can be a critic when it comes to kids movies, but we thought this one was just darling!  The kids laughed through it all... We all did!  Going to the movies is a big deal we all get excited for, and I think especially on a winter day it's a great way to stay cozy and have fun being out together!

Right now it's that "crunch time" of the day as I work to get our dinner of pan seared salmon and spiced rice on the table as Mr. Cozy and our son work in the leaves and trimming bushes outside.  He wants to help his daddy anyway he can, and even at 4 years old he can be a really good little helper!  I'm so proud of them both! ( The yard work is another step closer to getting our house ready to sell!). So as I write, I'm juggling cooking, (writing this post), playing babies with my daughter in the kitchen and helping her put on dress up clothes.  (She is so stinkin cute when she pretends!)  This is the controlled chaos that lends to not being a good blogger, nonetheless I am here to share some delicious taco soup this evening. :)

You'll find this is a very easy recipe to put together and simmer away on a cold and blustery winter's day! 

(Yep, that was sing-songy.)

Taco soup is similar to a hearty Tex-Mex style chili and is amazing eaten with corn chips or cornbread.  This night I made Trader Joe's pumpkin cornbread...

So. Good. 

I hope y'all will continue to give me grace as I intermently blog in this season of life with little bitties underfoot as we're about to make a big move in a few months.  Please do your family a favor and make this easy taco soup, because I think you're going to love it!  Let me know what you think.


Taco Soup
Serves 4-6

1 lb. ground sirloin 
1 onion, diced
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c. Water (more to thin out if needed)
1 small can diced green chilies 
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 pkg. ranch style dressing
Salt & pepper to taste

Brown meat and onion in a skillet.  Drain off any extra grease.  Stir in beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water chili seasoning and ranch seasoning and salt and pepper.  Stir together and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer med-low heat for another 30 minutes. Taste for any additional salt or pepper before serving.

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream or diced avocado and corn chips.  

This recipe would also be great cooked in a crock pot after browning the meat.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

3 comments:

  1. My kids really like taco soup. I'll bet yours is yum.

    Father God, I pray that you will give Miss Leslie the peace and productivity, energy and enthusiasm she will need as she prepares her home for sale. I pray that you will bring the right buyers at the right time.
    I ask it in Jesus' Name, amen.

    Good to visit with your again, Leslie. Please drop by!

    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, I always enjoy what you share on here. I think you're an amazing young woman and I'm so glad you're sharing your journey with us!!!

    Patrice Wyatt

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!