Saturday, December 21, 2013

Old Fashioned Martha Washington Candies


Merry Christmas!!!  

I've been a busy bee around here, as I'm sure all of you are, and I've been up to my knees in dipping chocolate!  I don't have much time, so let me get straight to the delicious point....

My new favorite Christmas candies are Martha Washingtons!!!  Oh my.  I discovered them from 
Pinterest, and this is a Gooseberry Patch recipe.  These coconut-pecan bonbons are truly a coconut lover's dream!! They're easy to mix up, I used my stand mixer, and they make a huge batch of about 8 dozen.  I've made 2 batches, so I've rolled almost 17 dozen bonbons!  They have to be remarkably good for that to happen, ha!


These chocolate covered bonbons have a creamy coconut center made of coconut, pecans, sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, and of course, butter!


I made several to take to our children's Preschool teachers and the Christmas program reception.  None were left!  Today I made a second batch to take back home for Christmas, and I can't wait to share them with our family.  I used toasted pecan on some for garnish and sprinkles on others for some festive colors that will draw the kiddos.

I can't wait to start this fun week of Christmas, and I think these Martha Washingtons will make it even sweeter!


Old Fashioned Martha Washington Candy
Deep South Dish

1 (14 oz.) sweetened flaked coconut
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 heaping cups of powdered sugar
1 c. (2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 c. Pecans, chopped and *toasted
1 brick of dipping chocolate bark, (you may need a little more), white chocolate bark is good too

I used my stand mixer here because it is a very thick mixture.

Combine everything but chocolate in a bowl and mix until it's combined.  Cover and refrigerate overnight or several hours.  

Spoon out and roll into balls about the size of a large marble and place on aluminum foil or wax paper lined sheet pans.  Place back into fridge while you melt the chocolate.  Working in batches so they stay cold, dip the balls into the chocolate, place back on sheet pan and sprinkle with toppings, if desired.  I used two long toothpicks to dip with.  Lift up and let excess chocolate drain and quickly sprinkle topping before the chocolate bark hardens.  Refrigerate if making them days ahead.
Makes about 7-8 dozen.

* Toasting pecans makes them even tastier!  It's easy to do: spread out pecan halves onto a sheet pan and bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes or until fragrant and a shade darker.  Let cool and chop pecans.










5 comments:

  1. Yummy! Those look insanely delicious. Also - sounds like a lot of work! hah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have baked so many cookies and breads and made so much candy that I think I'm all done for this year...but I've pinned these to try next year. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look sooooo good!!!!! Merry Christmas to you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so behind this year I haven't made nearly as much as I usually do and now I really want to make one of these beauties! Who can pass on sweetened condensed milk and coconut covered in chocolate! Have a very Merry Christmas! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Those look delicious!!! I may make them as a Valentine treat!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!