Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cozy Morning Chocolate Croissants


Coffee and croissants?  Yes, please!

Mr. Cozy is on vacation starting today!  That certainly calls for celebration!!  Our family (of 4!) woke to a cloudy day that was perfect to sleep in a bit.  Last night I put some frozen puff pastry in the fridge to thaw overnight, because I knew that I would be up to no- good in the kitchen this morning. ;). After all, Thankgiving is upon us, as is my birthday and with my hubby on vacation I was in a very decadent kind of mood!

Chocolate & pastry.  Yes friends... It's really that easy to whisk your family away to a Parisian cafe with a sweet confection like this.  Down-home decadence is what I like to call recipes like this one!


There are a few days of the year where eating basically dessert for breakfast is ok, right?

I  whipped up the croissants in a few minutes and you would've thought I went to an authentic Patisserie this morning.  Not only does the house smell amazing as they bake, but there is no wrong in chocolate that's warm and melted oozing out of crispy, flaky, buttery pastry dusted in sugar... 
Just let your mind wander...


Making the kids excited and parents happy doesn't take too much in our house.  

A special morning around here starts with a fire in the fireplace, or lighting my favorite candle, while something delicious bakes the oven, soon with the merry sound of Christmas music filling the air!  Snuggles and kisses are my reward to waking up earlier to surprise my family with a decadent treat like delicious chocolate croissants!  


Cozy Morning Chocolate Croissants
Nigella Lawson recipe.  Makes 12 small croissants

1 sheet of (frozen) Puff Pastry, thawed but cold
1/2 c. Milk or Dark chocolate chips or 1 chocolate bar
1 Egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Unroll the puff pastry and cut into 6 pieces.  Using a pizza cutter, cut the squares in half diagonally making 12 triangles.  About 1/2 inch from the wide end, place about 6-7 chocolate chips.  Roll from the wide end to the small as you would any croissant.

Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and space evenly.  Brush the beaten egg onto each croissant to make them glossy and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes. 

As you can see here, a couple squares softened too much before I cut them in half, so I made those pillows instead of croissants:)



Once golden and puffed, take out of the oven and shower with powdered sugar for an easy and elegant finish!  Another way to dress them up would be to drizzle melted chocolate over the top or a vanilla glaze using milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste.


However you finish chocolate croissants, they will taste decadent and delicious!  






3 comments:

  1. These look amazing Leslie and so easy! The perfect start or end to any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds easy and oh so delicious. I am definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Serena and Kathy! Let me know how you like them, because we devour ours!!
    Serena, they absolutely are a wonderful midnight snack;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!