Saturday, April 6, 2013

Green Bean Bundles

 
Since we've been talking about fresh, summer vegetables (although the season is coming to an end), I want to re-share this recipe of delicious green bean bundles!  I've shared this recipe, as you may remember, at Inspired By Family Magazine, but I never did post it here on my own blog.  This was just before our lives so dramatically changed with our little Blessings!  

I made these green beans for Easter with holy yum chicken and rosemary mashed potatoes.  I wanted another unique side dish, so I decided on these tangy bundles of green beans wrapped in bacon and baked up crispy and good.  I used French green beans and they look a little too shriveled here, but if you want them more plump just use regular garden green beans.  Either way, the sauce that's poured over and the bacon make them irresistible little bundles!
 
Salty & Sweet Green Bean Bundles
Recipe Adapted from Makin' it Mo' Betta
 
1 lb. Green Beans (I used French green beans)
10-12 slices of Bacon
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
2 cloves Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
 
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 
 
Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and put a baking rack on the top.  This way all the excess fat will drip down and your green beans won't cook in all the fat.  Your bacon will crisp better, too.
 
Wash and dry the green beans well.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bundle about 6-8 green beans and take a slice of bacon and wrap around the center of the green bean bundle.  They don't have to be perfect!  Lay the bundle with the seam side down on the rack.  Do this to all the green beans.  They can touch in the pan if you make a large batch, but since I only made a few for us two I scattered them out.
 
 
In a small sauce pan over low heat, mix the brown sugar, butter, and minced garlic until melted.  Stir it all together.  Using a pastry brush, brush this butter mixture over all the bundles.  If you can any left, just pour over the bundles until they're saturated and evenly coated.  I added a bit more black pepper over the top.
 
 
Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 35 minutes.  Take the foil off and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp.  If the bacon is having a hard time, turn on the broiler for a minute at the very end.  Unless you use thick cut bacon, you shouldn't have a problem with this.  Plan on everyone having at least 2 bundles.
 
Enjoy with your favorite food and your favorite people!
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!