Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cozy Brown Sugar Bars



You may be thinking, another dessert recipe from Leslie!??  Ha, why yes it is.  Contrary to how it appears, I haven't been skipping meals for dessert!  (Only in my dreams:)  I've still been making things like delicious pork loin with balsamic glaze and apples, enchiladas with favorite black beans, chili and cast iron skillet cornbread, marinated chicken fingers with roasted yukon gold potatoes....on and on.  I do still make entrees, but my pictures of most of them are awful since they're prepared at night and pictures are taken with a flash.  Bad excuse, but true!  I promise I'll be better at bringing you some savory recipes soon!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My family came over this weekend, and it was great!  I made a big pan homemade lasagna, green salad and garlic toasted whole grain bread with kalamata extra virgin olive oil (Trader Joe's) for dipping!  I have to say that I think bread and e.v. olive oil is one of the best healthy indulgences ever!  So yummy and heart healthy, just don't eat too much!

When they arrived, I had some fresh apple cider with cinnamon sticks and cloves simmering on the stove top!  There's nothing more inviting on a cold day than to come in for something hot to drink.  Warms your body and soul! 

I had just pulled these brown sugar bars out of the oven not long before everyone arrived!  Freshly dusted with powdered sugar, they were waiting with the cider piled high on an eyelet trimmed tea towel on a dainty pedestal.  

These moist and chewy bar cookies are a treat I used to make when we lived in Louisville for cell group at church.  They always seemed to be a hit, because they'd be wiped out in just a few minutes! 

Brown Sugar bars are incredibly simple to make and require only a few ingredients!  Yes, they do contain sugar, but to my surprise there is no butter (or oil) at all in the recipe!  They taste more decadent that they are.

I like to add chopped pecans to them and shower them with powdered sugar to give them a beautiful finish.  This is a Paula Deen recipe from her Just Desserts cookbook, that I love! 


I'm sure you'll find these brown sugar bars the perfect little treat to whip up! Just right on a chilly, wintry day (or stormy one like it is here...) these gooey centered-crispy edged bars are divine with a glass of milk, coffee or hot apple cider! 


Brown Sugar Bars
Makes 16  2-in. squares

1 egg

1 c. brown sugar, lightly packed

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1/2 c. all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1 c. chopped pecans or other nut


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8 in. square pan. (I used Pam for baking.)

Stir together egg, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. 


Sift (or whisk) together flour, soda and salt in a smaller bowl.

Quickly stir flour mixture into egg mixture.  Add most of the nuts.

Spread in pan and sprinkle on the rest of the nuts.

Bake for 18-20 minutes.  The batter will puff up and get golden around the edges, but stay very moist inside.  

(This past time I thought I should bake it a few minutes longer, because I thought the inside needed more time.  Well, I kind of over baked them a little!  So unless your oven is not too accurate, 20 minutes should be plenty of time!)

Allow them to cool for at least 25 minutes and carefully cut them up.  I made 16 small squares.
Using a sifter, shower them with as much powdered sugar as you please!!!  
See how pretty they become?


Be sure and check out all parties (on my sidebar) that I'm linked up to!








17 comments:

  1. Have mercy! You are ruining my new years resolution!!!! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I can't eat chocolate so this is a great brownie alternative. So there is no butter then? It seem pretty low in fat then too. I am going to make them tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Told you I was gonna make them. They are baking right now. Always love easy simple recipes like this that you always have the ingredients for in case you need to whip something up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound so yummy, and it sounds like you are a wonderful hostess! I love the smell of brown sugar, it smells so homey and cosy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet your family appreciates your hospitality! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look amazing! I am a dessert person all the way, I will definitely have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at bread and evoo! I am in love with these bars, I am def gonna make them! I'm a fellow southern gal who loves her sweet treats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look wonderful...oh zi think I just drooled a little!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Leslie. I was blog hopping and saw your yummy looking brown sugar bars. You have a very nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you do have a Cozy Little Kitchen AND Blog! I have enjoyed perusing many of your posts! So many yummy treats so see : )

    Nice stopping by to visit with you!
    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had this recipe for years! I found it in an Ideals recipe magazine over 20 years ago. I didn't know Paula Deen made them too. These ARE soooooo good! I haven't made them in a couple of years, but now Now I'm tempted to make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad ya'll are excited about these heavenly bars as much as I am!! (This is the best "go to" recipe, you'll thank me later:)

    Friends, thank you so much for leaving me sweet, thoughtful comments and letting me know you've stopped by! I'm sorry if I don't respcond to all of them, but I really love when ya'll come to visit!
    Your Cozy Little Kitchen-ista,
    Leslie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elaine, Sunny Simple Life, sent me your way for this delicious looking recipe. Oh my. These look absolutely divine! I'm putting the recipe on my Pinterest so I'll have it handy for when family is here!! But, then again, I might not wait that long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum these look great! Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday Talent Show! I hope to see you again next Tuesday!
    -Nikki
    Chef in Training
    http://www.chef-in-training.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a brown sugar fanatic, so these look absolutely delicious!! Thanks so much for sharing them at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a great recipe for all the chocolate lovers out there for Valentines Day!
    http://justmissys.blogspot.com/2013/01/triple-chocolate-flan-cake.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!