Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sweet Little Cherry Pie Tartlettes


     I've always loved history.  Not only was it my favorite subject all through school, but even now I love to go on trips to historical places and tour old homes from centuries ago!  That is probably what fuels my love for Europe all anything "old world".  Homes, streets and businesses with old stone or brick, walls and floors that are bursting at the seems (sometimes literally!) with stories to tell fascinate my husband and I! I love a period film or a restaurant with the flair of another era.  Don't worry, there is a point to all of this. :)

     Now back to the really good stuff--the pie!...

     So, of course I've always loved George Washington's birthday.  In grade school we learned about the story about a young Washington cutting down the little cherry tree that he couldn't lie to his father about.  You know the story...perfect for children...especially whenever you have an object lesson like making a cute little cherry pies!  After all these years I still enjoy celebrating the birthday of one of the very best Presidents America has ever had, with baking a cherry pie.  (My husband love this tradition!)  This year I thought I would make these sugar-sweet, little tartlette pies.  Not sure what to call them, but I think something that ends with "lette" is so cute! 

  
     They are easy to make, and would be a perfect dessert for your children to help with! The filling is so much tastier than canned pie filling, and the frozen sweet cherries make this recipe surprisingly easy!  There is just enough sugar to sweeten them but not too much!  With the egg wash and sprinkled sugar on the top, you will get unbelievably crisp crust that's irresistably good!  This recipe is very similar to my Sugar Laced Cherry Pie, which would also be perfect to make for this holiday!  I just love these adorable baby pies, and I think you and your kids will, too!

 
Cherry Pie Tartlettes


1 bag frozen dark, sweet cherries

1/4 c. sugar

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

1 Tbsp. cornstarch

1 pkg. (2) refrigerated pie crusts

1 egg

1 Tbsp. sugar for sprinkling



In a bowl, place cherries with the next three ingredients.  Let sit for about 20 minutes or so stirring occasionally, or until the juices have created a yummy syrup. 


Unroll the pie crust.  Using a  biscuit cutter, make 3 in. circles until all the crust in used up.       .

Place about 4 cherries (with juice) onto a circle and place another one on the top, like a sandwich.  Fold and crimp the edges like you would a pie.

Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil, because your little pies will leak juice.  It is going to happen, so don't worry!  Makes tiny slits in the top and brush with an egg wash.  (Egg wisked with a little water.) Sprinkle heavily with sugar over the top.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Carefully remove from the pan before any of the spilled juice hardens, making it difficult to remove.  Eat warm and enjoy!  Makes about 10-12.

4 comments:

  1. These pictures are beautiful! Almost as good as the tartlettes tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think I could make these with fresh sweet cherries? Any suggestions to do so? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I believe that you can use fresh cherries. Of course, make sure they are pitted and be sure to use the lemon juice for a bit of tartness. You may want to half the cherries, but you wouldn't have to. (These little tartlettes only hold about 3 cherries!) You don't have to allow the cherry mixture to sit in the sugar like you do with frozen cherries. I'm sure they will turn out yummy! Remember they do "bleed" a little while baking, but that's normal! These are so tasty, I wish I had some right now!

    Thanks a lot for stopping by hope you come back soon!
    Best wishes with the recipe!
    ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!