Friday, January 15, 2010

Orange Pecan Tea Bread



I made this one lazy Sunday afternoon as a pick me up with our coffee after a routine Sunday nap.  (Yes, I obey the Lord when He says to rest on the seventh day!)  I already had the orange marmalade which is something I don't normally keep, and I had the spices which is something I always have on hand.  The taste that comes from the combination of the citrusy-sweet orange marmalade and zest with the low fat buttermilk make this bread one that's so moist and tastes more rich and fattening than it really is.  There is not as much sugar in this quick bread recipe as most have, and I use fat free milk although it called for low fat.  The low fat buttermilk the recipe calls for is just ideal for enhancing baking.  It is also used in my Double Chocolate Christmas Cake that is so good!  The toasting of the pecans truly brings out their flavor in the bread and is "a must" to do. Be sure and save a few to sprinkle over the top.  The glaze is a simple mixture of the powdered sugar and orange juice.  I like to poke small holes in the top of the bread right after it comes out of the oven and drizzle part of the glaze on it to soak in and really make it moist.  After I take the bread out of the pan I will set it on a cooling rack and after about 15-20 more minutes, then I drizzle the rest of the orange glaze on the top of the bread.  This time it will not soak all the way in the bread, but will run down the sides a bit for a glossy and pretty presentation right before sprinkling the last chopped pecan on the top. Yum!!
This is a simple and rather healthy bread that's so tasty and perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.

Orange-Pecan Tea Bread recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!