Tuesday, August 10, 2021

A Cozy Tea Party!


I had the honor in mid- July to do something that became one of the highlights of my summer! I was asked to host a lovely “tea party” for the young women of our youth group as a part of a special weekend retreat they were participating in. There was no doubt in my mind that I would say “yes”.

I am passionate over few things more than:
(1.) loving on fellow women and young women who are the next generation of our church. 
(2.) Anything related to adding beauty in our lives by simple pleasures, such as tea parties, sipping from lovely china, eating delicious food and sharing in feminine and exquisite things. I firmly believe lovely things as this are a reflection of our Creator’s attention to the detail in our lives. 
(3.) Sharing our own home as a gathering place.
(4.) Greatest of all— serving Him wherever He calls me and bringing others into the light of His love!




This tea party was to reflect the effort and attention of our loving Heavenly Father has brought to each one of us!  I believe my part was more than just offering a space, but to prepare.

We are fearfully and wonderfully made, and throughout the Bible God gives us examples of how He loves us by preparing for us!…

David says in Psalms that God prepares a table before me in the presence of our enemies. 

Jesus Himself said before ascending that He is going to go and prepare a place for us in Heaven! 

We want to look like our Father, and so we too prepare! Our hearts needs to be prepared first and foremost. He wants a clean and pure heart after Him. Then I believe we prepare outwardly for others, out of love, as He does. Preparing requires planning, throughtfulness, and time.

Psalm 139, Psalm 23, John 14:3




So,  I prepared!

I began with prayer! I prayed over the whole evening weeks in advance and for the young ladies who would be there. I prayed for the leaders behind this special weekend retreat who were bringing them and pouring into them as Titus 2 women.

I prepared by deep cleaning my home—for after the many months of all of us living here together it was needing a good deep clean!

I sat on the floor for two hours and cleaned our Mahogany antique table and chairs. I first vacuumed all the crumbed in and around the cushions, and then I scrubbed the cushions and peeled off the play-doe and old food stuck in all the grooves. Carefully I washed the wood and then shined it with a wood polish. The chairs, the table top, and even the delicate legs until they gleamed! It was the first time in many, many years that I have deep cleaned this table and chairs, and they looked almost as good as new, despite some nicks and scratches I couldn’t buff out. 

It was ready for company and gleaming afterward!




Washed the tables cloths and ironed them.

Ironed the napkins and folded them, and I ironed them crisp again. They weren’t perfect, but I gave it my best! To bring out the iron these days is truly as occasion in itself. ;)

My wonderful mom and husband helped over a couple days time to get the kids out of the house so that I had extra time to get these tedious jobs accomplished in a much quicker time!

I went out to my flower gardens, and I picked lots of flowers that were distributed in vases for the tables and around the kitchen—all around the house. I also brought some flowers and greenery at Kroger that I mixed into some of the arrangements. 

Hydrangeas, black eyed Susans, and zinnias came from our property. My go-to decoration for years for any occasion is flowers! As you will see in the pictures, I experimented with where each arrangement would land, but I try to keep vases low, narrow or clear glass for the table which is the best for conversation. 




I got out all of my china dishes and washed them all. I also got out my crystal goblets and washed them. Same with the serving pieces. Most of these aren’t used enough to not wash beforehand.

I borrowed! Thankfully I was able to borrow some beautiful silver flatware from my mother-in-love and more cut crystal glasses from my mom. The pretty gold flatware and various serving silver utensils, tea pots, napkins and a few other things from church friends to complete the simply elegant look of this party. 

My husband helped me polish the silver until it gleamed!

There was not a paper product to be seen at this event! These girls deserved the best!

Next, I began to dress the tables. Such fun! It was like my house was playing dress up! I always do this the day before an event.




Three tables with three different sets of china. I thought it would be endearing and more like a tea room to have several tables all dressed differently while still coordinating.





It’s in the details!

Sweet napkins placed on the round table in old fashioned patterns of pastel flowers winding was a fun companion to my “Country Rose” china. 

Tiny creamers and candles twinkling. 

Cut crystal ready for strawberry lemonade.

Lemon and sugar bowls and honey pots were later placed around. 






Classic, elegant, simple and inviting. Nothing stuffy but everything planned and pretty.




This lace, though! 

My grandmother gifted me this delicately trimmed out tablecloth many, many moons ago. It’s just the perfect size for the small oak table we brought upstairs for the tea party!




This table cloth, I adore! It was ironed well but still pulled a bit, however the fresh green and cream combination is serene and soothing in the inky blue dining room. I knew the gold would be gorgeous in here! We went with gold accents in the dining room and silver in the kitchen. 




We rearranged our dining room furniture, and I am enjoying it much more this way. I think with the table extended everyone can get around it easier with it like this.

What do you think about the large new picture  above the hunt board? 

It’s very me! I LOVE it!! It looks like an old farmhouse you would see tucked away down one of the country roads around here. I think I could definitely live there!




Our wedding China is gorgeous— still the prettiest I’ve seen! It makes me wonder why I don’t use it more often. The soft creams and golds together remind me of our wedding.




I lit candles and turned on soothing worship music.. Kari Jobe on Amazon music to play through the house and set the tone for feasting in His presence. 

In the excitement of it all I missed taking a picture of the tea station…but what I did is I just rearranged my coffee bar to make room for an eclectic array of teas and boiling hot water in tea pots. It was easy to access and hopefully fun for the girls!




There was a spread of food from the best cooks and bakers in our church who dropped off their goodies beforehand. So many delicious treats that were a treat to plate up! I couldn’t wait for the girls to see it!

From perfect homemade scones with cream and lemon curd, to made-from-scratch macarons, crostini, French chocolate tarts, jam cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, pinwheels, and much more to name!!

I had yummy teas to choose from including English breakfast, Earl gray, Oolong, Paris, fruity teas, apple chai, peppermint, and more. I let the girls pick their own tea to steep in their tea cups, which was a first for most of them! I did my best to explain how to make a cup of tea and encouraged them to try more that one kind while they were here. I think they did!




I am so excited for it all to begin I had to capture the moment. 

Did I already say how much I love Jesus, I love girl time, and I love special moments like this??

Well, I’m saying it again!!! :)






I believe the Lord wants us to open our homes and let other people experience the refuge of our own abodes when we have the capacity to do so. There’s something extra special about being inside someone’s home for an experience—I know I love being invited! 

I believe he wants us to shower others with love, and while sometimes that’s taking the hand of a hurting person and walking through a storm with them, maybe it’s just inviting them over for a hot cup of tea and praying together before they leave. I believe the conversations that happen at the table are so good and can lead to relationships that deepen and memories that imprint the present chapter of our story to influence the future ones.

I experienced a beautiful thing at that tea party. I experienced the love of Jesus through this group of precious young sisters in Christ!! I was so blessed by them!  I met some of those young ladies for the first time that afternoon and through their hugs and genuine conversations, I can honestly say they are already being used by Him!

It was truly one of my favorite recent memories, hands down. 






1 comment:

  1. Oh my word! What a beautiful, beautiful party!! The attention to detail is so nice! Thank you for sharing!! I love what you wrote about preparing a place for others to witness and see the light in your life because of Jesus...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!