Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pot Roast with Carrots & Potatoes and Roasted Green Beans




     What's more comforting than to come home from work or church to find a complete, ready-to-eat pot roast dinner with delicious carrots and potatoes?!  Pot roast is one of those classic meals that have been around for decades and can be made a hundred different scrumptious ways!  I love making mine in a crock pot so that the meat gets incredibly tender and the vegetables drink in all the drippings and seasonings.  YUM!

     This is a delicious Paula Dean recipe that I tried for the first time.  The only changes I made was that I used a slightly tougher eye of round roast instead of the more succulent (and quite fatty) chuck roast.  The eye of round was on sale at the grocery, and since I slow cook mine anyways I knew it would get nice and tender...and it did!  Also, I didn't have any wine like it calls for, so I added more water.  You could also add beef broth if you have it.  Thirdly, I like to add potatoes and carrots to all my beef roast recipes and that's what I did.  The gravy that come from the drippings and cream of mushroom soup (among other good  things) made the veggies so flavorful!  I used whole baby carrots and  baby Yukon gold potatoes cut in quarters, but you can use whatever kind you have on hand.  I love using leftovers for beef stew or shred it and add with more sauteed onions, peppers and cheese for a Philly cheese steak sandwich.

Yes this is another pot roast recipe, but why not give a new twist on an old meal and get excited about pot roast again!  I served it up with my roasted French green beans.  (Fresh green beans, kosher salt, and pepper tossed in a little olive oil in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes.) These are really tasty and a perfect vegetable that's healthy and adds color to the plate!  So get you crock pot back out, and surprise yourself with how incredibly good and easy this Slow Cooked Pot Roast what Carrots and Potatoes really is!
Pot Roast
1 (3-4 lb.) Boneless chuck roast
1 tsp. House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Black pepper
2 Tbsp. Canola oil
1 c. Thinly sliced onion
3 Cloves garlic crushed
2 Bay leaves
1 (10 3/4 oz.) Can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup Red wine
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, low sodium
1 Tbsp. Beef bouillon granules or 1cube
3/4 cup Water


Preheat oven to 350 degrees if you are using the oven.  If using a crock pot, like me, set on low.  Add house seasoning, salt and pepper to a small bowl.  Rub seasoning into the roast on both sides.  Heat oil in a large (preferably) cast iron skillet and brown the roast, searing on both sides.  Place the meat in the crock pot.  Add the onions and garlic in the skillet for just a minute or 2 to absorb all the leftover roast juice.  Place into the crock pot and on the roast and add bay leaves.

(This is whenever I add the carrots and cut up potatoes into the crock pot.)

Combine the mushroom soup, wine, Worcestershire sauce and beef bouillon into a bowl.  Pour over the roast and add water.

Cover and keep on low in the crock pot for 8 hours.  If baking in the oven, cover pan with foil and bake for 3- 3 1/2 hours. Either way, cook until the meat is very tender.

Remove and discard bay leaves.

Take out of the pot, cover in foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing or shredding.  Serve with the vegetables on a platter and enjoy!


House Seasoning
 1 c. salt
1/4 c. black pepper
1/4 c. garlic powder

Mix ingredients and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely recipe. Former Louisville girl myself, now nesting in south GA. Love the site! Especially the picture at the top with the little house/cabin. Reminds me of Alaska. What a dream. Keep on cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!